Skip to content
32 needing a complete hip replacement
alleiebee posted:
Early last year I had sudden onset of arthritis in my right hip. after a year with one orthopedic I went and got a second opinion. Both doctors are recomending a hip replacement although they agree I am a little young. I have had a limp in that leg my whole life from a break in the kneecap at age 2. other than that there has been no other trauma to my leg. Both orthopedist recommend that I take nsaids as long as I can stand the pain and at that time we can look into surgery.
My question is this: Will there be other problems that arise if I do not have the surgery? Where do I go for help? Am I looking at a life of chronic pain?

_swank_ responded:
Nobody can predict the future for you. It sounds like you've already gotten some help. You could always seek a third opinion and/or find a doctor that does hip arthroscopy and see if there's anything they can do. But it's quite possible you will just be told there's nothing they can do about arthritis in the hip other than replace it.

Will you have other problems? Besides pain who knows.

Are you looking at a life of chronic pain? Not if you get a replacement. The purpose of joint replacements is to relieve pain. It's your choice when to do that so get as many opinions from orthopedic doctors as you can.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

karen
I'm 55 and have had osto for about 10 years. I use a cream called Valtaren works really great. I put it on first thing in the morning ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.