Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Thumb Basal Joint Arthroplasty
An_246140 posted:
Today is 6/25/12 and I was diagnosed with basal joint arthritis of my left hand. I have apparently had the condition for a couple of years. I have the customary discomfort in the joint and accompanying mobility problems. For at least two years, I have also had discomfort in the muscle tissue of my shoulder and the elbow. Could someone let me know if they have ever had similar discomfort in the shoulder and elbow and was it relieved after surgery of the basal joint?

Shoes1949

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
Basal joint arthritis is fairly common. I have not heard of an association with this problem and shoulder and elbow pain. Possible, avoidance of using the thumb could increase stress proximally to the areas you noted. If one of my patients had this question, I would ask them to discuss with an orthopaedic who had expertise in the upper extremity.

Anon_175628 responded:
I know your post has been up for a while but I just came to this board, I'm usually on the fibro board. I have had the thumb issue, actually I already had the joint replacement. I too had the elbow and shoulder pain before surgery and I still have it now 2 years after the surgery. They moved the nerve in my elbow that did help it but my shoulder still gives me a fit. It feels like there is a fire in between my shoulder blades. Of course they tell me it is the fibro. I've had the nerve conduction test on both arms. But I thought it was a miracle to see someone else that was talking about the same issue. did

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Relief for Knee OA
Doing squats on a Total Gym (2 or 3 reps of 20) at an incline, taking Nopalea, whirlpool baths and a proactive attitude through prayer have ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.