Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Bilateral Total Knee Replacement Surgery Performed March 27, 2012
SanSan1963 posted:
I am 3 months out of having had the surgery - no complications. I had physical therapy at a rehab facility for 2 weeks, then came home and a PT came to my home 3 times a week, then less and less until I felt I could do the PT on my own, which I have. I have continued to exercise every day (pretty much) and last Saturday (6 days ago) I went with my church family to New York City/Ellis Island and walked a LOT.....was in extreme pain before leaving that evening....climbed a lot of stairs....used my cane. Three days ago I woke up with both knees VERY swollen and painful. I have no more narcotic prescription medicine; however, I had a refill on Butrans Patches so I put one on each upper arm @ 10 mg each. I was just awakened (3:00 am here) and they are still swollen and very painful. I am going to try to get a appt today with my surgeon to check me out. I'm anxious (a little scared) that something is terribly wrong. Is this normal because of all the walking I did 6 days ago?

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
. You did the right thing to have your surgeon check things out and I am hopeful all is well. Let us know who things went.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Arthritis in foot
I have had severe arthritis in my right foot for over 4 years now. In 2006, I had cortisone shots and they worked for awhile. Now I just ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.