Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Avascular Necrosis due to Long term Prednisone use...
rjbeck77 posted:
I'm a 45y/o male that started out with pulmonary problems in 2005 and after many yr's of Prednisone use I came down with a bone disease called avascular necrosis. first it was in my shoulders then hip's and then both knee's. I've replaced my rt shoulder and lt hip month's ago 12/2011 I still have bursitis in the hip and have trouble walking because the joint likes to pop in and out. Now my rt hip has partially collapsed and is causing pain on that side. my lt shoulder has totally collapsed and has become almost useless. so far my knee's only ache at this time. Anybody have any experience with AVN? It seems that when one joint seems to get better another joint starts up... Thanks Randy

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
Randy
Sorry to hear about your AVN.This is a tough issue as you know and is a rare but possible complication from prednisone treatment. It is more likely to occur in doses over 15mg. per day. Early AVN can be diagosed by MRI and is not typically seen on regular xrays. In the past, Johns Hopkins Medical School did research in this condtion.

kdadams12 responded:
Hi, my son was just diagnosed with AVN disease from the use of high doses of Prednisone during his cancer treatment. He is 19. It is in his legs from the thighs down and just starting in his hips. They say there is nothing they can do, but do you have any advise I could pass along to him? Thank you so much!!

atti_editor replied to kdadams12's response:
Hi kdadams12,

I am sorry that your son is going through this. Here is some information on avascular necrosis that I found -- it includes research that is being conducted on the condition as well as a list of organizations where he can search for more information and support.

Best wishes,
Atti

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Relief for Knee OA
Doing squats on a Total Gym (2 or 3 reps of 20) at an incline, taking Nopalea, whirlpool baths and a proactive attitude through prayer have ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.