Skip to content
bilateral knee replacement
Kaysails posted:
Hi -

I'm a 58 year old female in the San Jose, CA area. I've had extreme knee pain in my left knee that has in the last year started to be bad in the right knee as well. I've had arthoscopes, injections, chiro, accupunture, you name it, I've probably tried it. this last ortho doc has recommended to do both knees pretty soon. I've always been told in the past I'm getting too heavy (200#) and I'm too young.
Well, I hurt so bad most days I can barely walk and the pain wakes me up at night. I can't lose the weight, as it hurts so exercise - I used to bike, sail, hike, etc - all gone by the wayside as it hurts to climb stairs and walk around the block? I'd rather stab myself with the ice pick that feels like is in my knees constantly.
Yes, I'd probably have to do it again at 65 or 70 but right now?? the artritus guy says we can do some braces and more injections, and delay surgery for a year, possibly.
Do I delay and spend plenty o'bucks on the delay stuff or just bite the bullet and spend the plenty 'o bucks and do the surgery? How long do you wait? Does waiting help?
I'm not adverse to any exercise and therapy - I just want this painful "existence" lessened. 50% better would be a blessing...

_swank_ responded:
First off, 58 is not too young for a replacement. I had mine done when I was 52. The knee my doctor used is supposed to last 30 years, although they haven't been around long enough to know whether that will be the case or not. Either way, the technology they use today is must better than in the past and knees last much longer than 10 or even 20 years. So the question remains do you want to spend your life suffering or do you want to get on with it? Do check the Joint Replacement board for opinions and experiences doing both knees at once though. Not a good idea.

Second, swimming is great exercise and easy on the knees. No excuses, just find a pool and get moving.

Myelement responded:
I had a bi-lateral knee replacement 3 years ago (I was 54). I had a fantastic surgeon who made sure all of the proper packs etc.. were in place to prevent blood clots. The best post surgery recommendation is to follow through to a T the therapy & exercises. Swank mentioned swimming and that is absolutely right! At one of my therapy sessions, the therapist gave me specific water exercises to do. Once I could drive, I did them as often as I could get to the gym.
I do have some pain & swelling sometimes, but nothing a little rest & ice doesn't relieve. I am so glad I made the choice because the pain before I had surgery was immense.

MomMilkshake responded:
I would encourage you to stop with the injections and braces and do the surgery. I went through the same thing with my husband who is 56. He is now 4 days post op. It is difficult, but worth it. I am tracking his daily progress on my blog if you want nitty gritty details of what to expect!
http://milkshakesanytime.blogspot.com/2012/08/day-4-husband-update.html

pgt1956 responded:
Kaysails

Your post brought tears to my eyes, mainly because I ABSOLUTELY feel your pain. In fact, your post could almost be my situation word-for-word. I also went through the scopes (2-rt. knee; 1-left knee); cortisone shots, gel injections, joint meds, etc., and NOTHING helped as the years went by and I just got progressively worse. I'm 56 years old and having a total knee replacement on my right knee in 3 1/2 days. My left knee is just as bad, so I'm hoping that it won't give me too much trouble as I rehab the other one. I'm sure I'll also have it replaced. I think you just get to a point - especially when you are at the point that we are - where you just know. . . IT'S TIME. That's what my orthopedic surgeon told me from the very beginning of my journey. That's another thing that is VERY important: you have to have a doctor/surgeon that you TRUST; will actually LISTEN to you; and will keep YOU first and foremost. Also, I have a family that is behind me on this and will be there before - during - and after to help me through it all. Hope this helped. Good luck to you!

ElsieYan responded:
Hi Kaysails,

I can totally relate to your problem. At the rate that you are suffering, you should not wait any longer to do TKR and you are certainly not young to do TKR. I did my bilateral TKR at age 49 and I know of people who has done the same at age 28 and 31 as they have Rheumatoid Arthritis. Initially, these people struggled to find an OS who would do the TKR at their age but eventually they found an OS willing to do it because the consideration for better quality of life outweighs the age factor.

You would be surprised how long these new implants would lasts. You can read about all these information in my blog. It would be good to have adequate information about TKR because the lack of it and listening to people who have not done TKR would not help at all.

Please know that you do not have to continue to suffer. You can make a change for yourself and with this change, you can look forward to a better quality of life.

Elsie Yan
BTKR 14.4.2011

http://www.totalkneereplacement-elsie.blogspot.com

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.