Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Double TKR - Trying to Decide
dluecke posted:
I am needing to decide whether or not to have a double TKR. I am hurting and struggling to walk. I've read the posts in the Osteoarthritis Community, but they seem a bit old. I am looking for new posts and opinions. also, how are the folks who had this done two years ago doing now? I am a 55 year old female, otherwise healthy and active teacher. Thanks, Diane

_swank_ responded:
Check out the Knee and Hip Replacement Board here on WebMD. There's lots of opinions and experiences there. Dr. Raj has put in many posts about why having both knees done at once is a bad idea. I had one done and that was enough for me to know that I would never, ever do both at the same time.

FriendlyGirl25 responded:
Aside from all the risks, performing both surgeries at the same time can make it an extremely long and difficult recovery. If you were to have them both done at once, you'd basically lose all ability to walk for months while you're waiting for everything to heal. At least with doing one at a time, you'd still be able to use crutches or a walker while you heal to get around. I know you say you're hurting now, but it can be a much more difficult road if you get both surgeries at the same time.

Not to mention the cost of the surgery itself. It can be extremely expensive to just have one TKR. I know my grandfather was looking at costs when it came down to doing a single or double TKR. Just to give you an idea of what he was looking at, I found a cost estimator that might really help you understand what you could be facing with just one TKR. You can input your zip code and it will locate costs in your general area for everything. You can even customize it to your age and pre-exisiting conditions, it's an excellent tool for finding out knee replacement costs. I hope it helps, good luck dear!

http://www.healthline.com/surgery/total-knee-replacement/costs

full_of_fait_ldsjew responded:
Hi Diane, How are you doing? I am also 55 years in June and my Primary MD wants me to have Bilateral as well as myself, but my 1st Surgeon does not want to perform it. We are having trouble finding a Dr. to do both. My dr. thinks it's because the surgeons want to get paid twice. I'm not super healthy but I don't have cardiac or pulmonary problems (probably the only 2 things I don't have lol), and the funny thing is the last 8 months I've been able to ride a bike (instead of walking) for exercise (I bought a special one) and it has helped a great deal I think...at least for emotional support.

If you recieve this, please let me know how you are doing. I am not at all happy about this having to be done...infact I am trying everything I can to avoid it if possible...but the pain is unbarable most of the time unless I am complete bedrest for a couple of days then I get repreived...but who can "live" like that?

Regards,
Wendi

dluecke replied to full_of_fait_ldsjew's response:
Hello Wendi,
I am 6 months post op and doing great! I am so happy that I had both knees done at the same time, with an extremely competent doctor and hospital. I would do it again in a heartbeat! It was not a fun time in the beginning, but I was walking the day after surgery and going to physical therapy for 12 weeks. I was fortunate to have my son who just graduated and was home full time to be my caregiver/driver/cook. I returned to work as a teacher who never sits down (I average 4 miles of walking on the job each day) but it is all pain free and med free! I only wish I had the energy and time and the money to keep up with physical therapy to increase my strength and balance. I try to do what I can at home but I still take stairs slowly. I have never regretted the procedure. As far as cost, looking at my hospital bill, it seems it was more economical to do both at the same time. I know it was better at work to get a sub for 12 weeks straight, than it would have been for 6 weeks in August/September and then again November/December. I would not have been healthy enough to go back after 6 weeks and still being in pain with the other knee. The most important thing is the doctor...you need one that has done many double knee replacements. Mine was Dr. Frank Tull with DePaul Hospital in St. Louis County, Missouri. I love him and his team! Hope this helps, Diane

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.