Skip to content
I need some help-hands
Anon_175628 posted:
Hi, I'm 49 years old with fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis in both my hands really really bad. My knuckles have bone spurs on them already, both hands, plus I've already had a joint replacement on my right thumb. Oh I left out my last bad news of emphysema, early stages. They haven't really started on any meds for it yet except mobic and steroids. Of course I've got my pain meds. I need any suggestions or resources I can get. I'm lost. So any help anyone can give I'll appreciate it very very much.
Thanks and have a great weekend
Kay

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Kay,

I'm sure that others who have been dealing with similar hand pain will be responding with their ideas and support but, in the meantime, I wanted to welcome you here.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

An_246950 responded:
Hi Kay,

Unfortunately, I have no medical advice for you but I just wanted to tell you how incredibly courageous you are. Many, including me, bemoan our fate from time to time due to illnesses that are so much less than what you're facing, not to mention the fact that we have made it to a much older age in relatively good health.

I pray that you will receive the help that you need. There must be someone out there who can help...please do so!

Harvey

Viki99 responded:
Hi Kay! First of all, I'm sorry you are going through so much at such a young age, my problems also started fairly young, and I was finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia at age 45. Since that time, other issues have developed, including OA in my hands and various other joints, cervical spondylosis, and degenerative disc disease to name a few. I'm not sure exactly what it is you're looking for help with, but I'd like to share something that has been beneficial for my hand pain.

I was referred to a Physiatrist because nothing was really helpful for the terrible pain, tingling and numbness that I was having in my arms and hands. She told me that this is a very common symptom of a contraction in a specific muscle in the back between the spine and shoulder blade. I was taught to use a tool called a "Theracane", which basically enables the user to manipulate their own back muscles to release the contractions. I was amazed to find that once this muscle was relaxed the tingling and numbness went away completely, and the hand pain was significantly decreased. The muscle spasms recur as they always have, but now I have the ability to stretch the muscle myself...very empowering! I don't know if this would benefit you or not, but I thought I would share my experience with you. Good luck, and be well.

PlumpandPretty replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
I am ready to let go of my life as it is now with FB and arthritis so I will have a better life. I am now 74 years young and the last 20 years have been extremely painful.

dtblt responded:
try bio oil rub into your hands a few times a day. I know it sounds weird but it works for me.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to PlumpandPretty's response:
I understand how wearying ongoing pain can be, PlumpandPretty. (((softhugs)))

I hope you'll keep talking here.

And I hope everyone here will continue to share pain-relieving ideas for all.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

tinac415 responded:
Hi,
I am also 49 and have osteoarthritis in my hands. I also have bone spurs and had the trapezium bone replaced in my thumb last November. This, however, did not offer any relief. I go to a pain management Dr. that is absolutely no help. A few months ago I had a nerve conduction test done, which was over $2000 and the results were negative. No nerve damage. In spite of this my P.M. Dr. put me on Neurotin 300mg 3x a day. The only thing that medication has done has cause severe depression, anger and no help with the pain. Now 3 years after the pain began I'm in even more pain, almost $5000 still owed in medical bills, and unable to work because of the pain. I've tried surgery, cortisone shots, physical therapy...all to no avail! Percocet worked for a couple of hours at a time but now because of "drug addicts" I can't even get that for the pain. My sed rate is normal (no inflammation) so anti inflammatory meds don't work. If you find anyone with an answer let me know! And good luck to you, Kay

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Total hip replacement for OA
I was uncertain and quite frightened by the thought of having a total hip replacment for my osteoarthritic hips, the right being worse than ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.