Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Degenerative Bone Disease following Gastric Bypass?
MesabaRose posted:
My daughter underwent gastric bypass surgery several years ago and has developed degenerative bone disease to the extent she has a rod in her back, hip and knee replacement. Along with these she has terrible chronic pain. Management of the disease in her spine utilized xray and she developed thyroid cancer and had a thyroidectomy, causing bone degeneration to excellerateeven though she takes supplements.
Is anyone aware of degenerative bone disease being associated with gastric bypass? And if so is there a treatment to reverse or at lease slow the progression of this condition?

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
So sorry about your daughter.I have not heard of this problem associated with gastric bypass Of course, that does not mean it is not related.. Possbily the surgeon can look into this further by doing a review of the medical literature through the hospital medical library.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

pain relief with cod liver oil and orange juice
I have heard from 2 ladies that taking cod liver oil 1 Tab in orange juice over a long period of time releaved their osteoarthritis pain. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.