Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
knee replacement
kathcasc posted:
I posted two weeks ago about a problem with my knee. I was hoping
that I would be able to try the injections. The Dr. said that I need a total knee replacement. The knee is actually bowing out. I had a custom
knee brace made in the meantime and am getting that tomorrow.
The store bought one fit last week but this week is tight. Guess my
knee swelled up more. I would like to hear peoples experience with
total knee replacement. I was hoping to put it off for a while but with all the pain I am in, I just want it over with. I haven't left my house in 3
days because of the pain and now my feet are tingling. So, if anyone
could please let me know how they did with the surgery and the recoup pperiod I would appreciate it.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Kathcasc,

While you're waiting for responses here, I really encourage you to post on our Knee & Hip Replacement Community for feedback.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

kathcasc replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you Caprice. I am new to this site and wasn't aware of
that

marysings responded:
I got a total left knee replacement on March 1. I would highly recommend it.

The first week is hell with unrelenting pain. Most surgeons will send you home with great meds. If you take the pain meds as they prescribe, you won't remember the first week. My surgeon will not do surgery until you can tell him someone will be with you 24/7 the first week. The second week you finally get out of bed for a while. Use a walker and graduate to a cane the third week.

And another thing they will tell you is that ICE is your friend!

I hope all goes well for you.

Mary

pgt1956 responded:
kathcasc,
I have had trouble with both of my knees for about 30 years. I have had 3 arthroscopic surgeries (1 on the left knee & 2 on the right); I have had cortisone shots and gel injections - neither helped. My surgeon said that I would eventually need knee replacements, and I would know when it was time. That was over a decade ago. Because of life's circumstances, I was unable to consider it until now. I went yesterday for my pre-op tests, and will have my first knee replacement in 10 days. I will have the surgery on a Tuesday; start walking on it that day; go home on Thursday (with a CPM machine); and start my physical therapy at my local rehabilitation center on Friday. I'll let you know later how everything went.

kathcasc replied to pgt1956's response:
pgt1956
I wish you the best of luck with your surgery. I am sure that I
won't be too far behind you getting it done. Yes, please let me know how everything goes.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Arthritis in foot
I have had severe arthritis in my right foot for over 4 years now. In 2006, I had cortisone shots and they worked for awhile. Now I just ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.