Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain options?
MandyCake posted:
I have spinal stenosis. OsteoArthritis. My hips and pelvis will lock up on me when trying to walk and I will have severe pain. My spine has damage in the L and C area's. My left arm and shoulder. I take Naproxen Sodium on days when I can no longer stand the pain. My doc's have prescibed med's but I am reluctant to take medications, especially those for pain. (I have a phobia to medications) I have tried alternative therapies like yoga, massage, accupressure and puncture and reflexology. It used to make me feel better for about a half hour to have someone walk on me. I have been to Chiropratic's and through Physical Therapy. To no avail. Any other suggestions?

georgia888 responded:
Sorry to hear of your problems, MandyCake. I, too, have spinal stenosis in my lumbar spine along with OA throughout the spine as well as in the left hip, right knee & elbow, & toes. If that weren't enough, I developed Fibromyalgia almost five years ago.

I do not care for medications as I believe most of them only add symptoms to a list which doesn't need to get any longer. I keep my weight down & eat well. I supplement my diet with a variety of vitamins, minerals, etc (C,D,E, Calcium.......). Due to an allergic reaction to the shellfish in Glucosamine Chondroitin, I switched to a product that uses NEM (natural eggshell membrane).

The therapy that works best for me is warm water. Over a year ago I joined a gym with a heated pool (89 degrees) & visit it every morning. It helps to keep me more flexible throughout the day.

Is it feasible for you to try this pool therapy?

I recently added SAM-e to my list of supplements as I read where it has been proven to help ease pain in those who suffer from OA.

I realize none of these are cures but I do my best in helping to manage the condition. I can live with pain, I just don't want to lose my mobility.

I'm relatively young (56) for the degree of my condition. I believe I inherited some bad genes.

Do you mind my asking your age? I hope you will soon find something that will ease your discomfort.

georgia

Davis1955 replied to georgia888's response:
I have found that adding magnesium and fish oil to my diet has aleviated a lot of my pain naturally. I have psoriatic arthritis & suffer from bouts with gout.

These were recommended to me by a friend (magnesium) and the Doctor (fish oil). Don't expect results right away, it was suttle coming to me. After about 5 or 6 weeks I just noticed that I was moving better, feeling better, and had almost stopped taking my over the counter meds, because I too am scared to death of these prescriptions that they're pushing now. Hope this helps!

Michael

kim11757 responded:
I too have OsteoArthritis. I also have fibromyalgia. my hips, knees, lowerback, shoulders. I find that otc meds just dont work for me. I have a friend who works with a doctor and they have created some herbal relieves for several different problems. I use there herbal "meds". I am a Buddhist so I meditate everyday, I find just relaxing which is sometimes difficult with some aromatherapy works. I also use a type of balm or massage oils that I can rub on my knees, etc. I agree with georgia888 about warm water therapy. I also have asthma so exercising is hard for me but in the water you can move your joints more easily, it doesn't put a strain on your bones, etc. I also use a heating pad at night sitting on the couch on my back. I also learned along time ago to not sit more than an hour at a time. Get up and move. I am not working any longer due to my OsteoA and Fibro but when I was working I could get up and just move a little at my desk to feel better. you don't really need to spend lots on oil and aromatherapy. I find Lavender, Peppermint and Eucalyptus are nice for aromatherapy. I use them in a difuser or small difuser stones beside my bed. You can use a regular oil, like baby oil mix with some others to make a massage oil. If you would like I can give you a list of oils. You should be able to find them inexpensively, you don't need to purchase "special oils" that are expensive. Hope this helps.

bbiec replied to kim11757's response:
Hi MandyCake:
I have scoliosis [in lower back>; osteoarthritis [right hand>; and fibromyalgia. Pain is a part of my life more now than ever before due to age; I'm 60.

This past year has been spent trying to address chronic pain issues, i.e. using a combination of prescriptive drugs combined with OTC drugs and alternative medicine combined.

For many years I've avoided prescriptive therapy but have found, since diagnosed with fibromalgia, that a combination of vitamins & drugs does help relieve my system of the stress of the chronic pain which then relieves the depression and anxiety I also struggle with.

Like yourself and others, I've done the PT, the yoga, chiropractic, accupuncture, ... etc, and found some help in alleviating my symptoms. Right now I'm trying a drug to help me sleep more comfortably at night so that my daily pain might be less annoying in the daytime hours. The side effects of prescriptive drugs are troublesome and each person has to weigh the quality of life they provide us and whether or not they are worthwhile in the long run.

I've recently quit my job to relieve my stress and to make my health a priority in my daily life. Taking OTC and/or prescription drugs is a balancing act, but there are positives in doing so in order to attain the goal or more physical comfort overall. The suggestions of the others above are all good; the goal is to find what works for you!

bbiec

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Relief for Knee OA
Doing squats on a Total Gym (2 or 3 reps of 20) at an incline, taking Nopalea, whirlpool baths and a proactive attitude through prayer have ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.