Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What Inspires You?
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
Are you watching the Games in London? Sometimes stories are shared there of athletes who have overcome significant injury — including one cyclist from Australia who had a broken neck a few years ago — and that got me to wondering… do stories like that inspire you? What does inspire you?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

georgia888 responded:
Hello Caprice,
I find I go through a variety of emotions while watching the Olympics. Prior to the onset of Fibromyalgia soon followed by the painful symptoms of Osteoarthritis, I was a daily jogger/power walker. I've always been active & although it's much harder to be these days, I continue to go for daily swims & move around as much as possible.

Of course we all see the Olympian's bodies powered up like machines however, I am truly inspired by the mental process responsible for those machines moving as they do. The mind is a powerful thing & we are in full control of our minds.

True inspiration was felt when watching the Australian runner (name escapes me) who had prosthetic lower legs. WOW!

georgia

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to georgia888's response:
I'm with you, Georgia... whether it's an Olympian or someone in my life coping with pain or other health issues yet persevering despite that, it's their mental conviction that really impresses me.

Good for you for doing all you can to persevere!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

what should i do
sir my name is rajesh, I had an accident and my hip is broken Dr. had fitted rod, but after one year my hip is start paining Dr are telling ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.