Skip to content
Bicycling after bilateral knee replacement
SippnCoffe posted:
After having both knees replaced, one in 2011, one in 2010, I now have decided to take up bicycling for exercise and as a good way to tour the many beautiful trails all over Michigan. BUT....on my first trip to a bike shop I discovered that my both of my knees don't bend quite enough to be able to take the pedals all the way around without having to go very slowly at the "apex" of the pedal "stroke". I'd like to ask if anyone has had experience like this and, if so, how were you finally able to find a bike that will work for you? I am working improve the range of motion in my knees but I'm not sure that I can improve it at this late date. Does anyone have experience with improving range of motion even a year out from knee replacement surgery?

_swank_ responded:
I have that problem when I first get on a bike, but I have found that once I get warmed up my knee will bend farther.

Go to a good bike shop, one that knows how to fit a bike. You should be able to find a different sized crank that will work with your knee.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

karen
I'm 55 and have had osto for about 10 years. I use a cream called Valtaren works really great. I put it on first thing in the morning ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.