Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Bony lump under knee
appieloo posted:
Hello, I started noticing nodules on two fingers on both hands about 6 months ago. I have constant pain and stiffness in fingers and thumbs on both hands now. My elbows and knees are now also involved and painful. I also have a bony lump under my right knee. Do you all have constant pain with OA? Does OA come on that rapidly? I thought it was a slower progression. Does anyone else have a bony lump under their knee?

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
Nodules on the hands are common in OA and if involving the end or distal joint, are called Heberdens nodes. If the mid finger joints are involved, they are called Bouchards nodes. A bony lump under the knee could be a spur from OA but definitely check with your doctor and have them examine your hand and knees to obtain a more reliable assessment and diagnosis.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Total hip replacement for OA
I was uncertain and quite frightened by the thought of having a total hip replacment for my osteoarthritic hips, the right being worse than ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.