Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Continuously Searching
Hopesend posted:
My story would take entirely too much. My diagnosis list is vast. In short summary, I began suffering with back/neck pain & headaches, during childhood. Scoliosis, led to DDD/Osteoarthritis throughout the spine. Flash forward 30+ years. Pain & damage is widespread, consuming most every joint. Many surgeries to replace, repair, fuse, etc. spine/joint material. Not only have all failed, but caused residual damage (spurring, scar tissue, chondrolysis, nerve damage, muscle atrophy...) compounding pain & other symptoms. You name it, I've tried it. The tools that are most helpful are NOT drugs & surgeries, although those seem to be all insurance wants to pay for. Alternative therapies, such as swimming, massage, the whole plethera, most definitely would be helpful, if consistent. Then, there's the minor hitch of all the money necessary to take advantage of such treatments.

So, why am I on here? To not feel alone. To vent. To learn.

georgia888 responded:
I couldn't agree with you more, Hopesend, concerning the values of alternative treatments. Daily swimming/water walking in a warm therapeutic pool is the only "drug" I take. The others I tried only gave me more problems.

The WebMD community sites are also great therapy. I am so greatful for this resource.

georgia

Hopesend replied to georgia888's response:
Georgia,

Where do you swim? There don't seem to be any cost effective options around here.

georgia888 replied to Hopesend's response:
Hi Hopesend,
Last year I joined a gym that boasts the warmest pool (89 degrees) in town. Membership runs about $60 per month, which sounds expensive but it is so well worth every penny. I would easily sacrifice other unnecessary expenditures in order to feel the relief the pool provides me.

If you live nearby such a facility & price is an issue for you, it never hurts to ask for discounts and/or a payment plan more feasible for your budget.

Best of luck to you in finding relief.

georgia

Thanks for the info. Yes, finances are a problem. I'm pending (3 years now) possible/hopeful approval of SS Disability. Until then, I have zero dollars to work with, unfortunately. I am hopeful for approval, then I can seek alternative care methods that are not availble to me presently, because of that ugly thing called money.

georgia888 replied to Hopesend's response:
Eventually you will be approved & when that does happen, don't be shy about asking for deals/discounts. It never hurts to ask & very often we are pleasantly surprised with the answers. There are many unadvertised discounts available for those collecting SSDI, all the more reason to speak up!

Best of luck to you!

georgia

Thank you.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.