Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Knee replacement and now other leg hurting
kathcasc posted:
I was told in July that I need a knee replacement due to bone on bone. At the time the knee was hurting so bad. The pain has subsided quite a bit so I am putting surgery off. Now I have a problem with my other
leg. The knee doesn't hurt on that leg but it just keeps going out on me.
I am wondering if this is normal or if it is an unrelated problem. It hurts
mostly on the right side of the leg next to the knee. I am wondering if
this could be because I am been favoring the bad knee for so long.
Does anyone have any input on this or have they experienced this.
Thanks fo reading this.

georgia888 responded:
Hello kathcasc,
The only sure way of finding out what's going on with your other knee is a visit to your doctor who most likely will want to take an x-ray of that knee.

Do you recall injuring the knee? It is possible that by favoring the very bad knee the other knee is therefore bearing more of the weight burden.

I give you credit for putting off surgery. There are so many conserviative treatments along with keeping our weight down that should help us in prolonging surgery until it is absolutely necessary.

Best of luck in finding relief. Please keep us posted.

georgia

kathcasc replied to georgia888's response:
Hi Georgia888
Thanks for your response. The thing is it is not the other
knee that hurts. It is on the leg next to the knee, if that makes
sense. I will be walking and all of a sudden it gives out.
I am putting off surgery because I have a terrible time coming
out of anesthesia. I had a custom made brace made for the
bad knee and it is helping. Surgery is a last resort for me! I do think I am favoring the bad knee and you are right about the othe other knee bearing more of the weight.

georgia888 replied to kathcasc's response:
Hi kathcasc,
When it comes to arthritic pain, it's often hard to figure its origin as often the pain becomes referred & can be felt away from the degenerative joint.

I find warm water exercise to be very therapeutic in dealing with ailing joints. Many at the gym I belong to suffer from arthritis & also find the water to be the best medicine. A few, including myself, have been able to hold off on surgery as the water has helped us that much!

I understand that the knees can greatly benefit from bicycling, be it stationary or regular bike.

Before engaging in any exercise, please check with your doctor.

Good luck!

georgia

clair_hb replied to georgia888's response:
Cycling for me, waiting as long as possible before knee replacement, is great. I also horse ride, I am on Arcoxia, which keeps swelling and pain to minimum and let's me work my knee to keep it strong! Good luck

maz54 responded:
have the same problem,but don't be fooled if you are bone on bone it will come back to bite you.i use kinesio tape which keep my knees some what stable for a while,i've heard that it helps people so much they don't need surgery at all.but for me it's not fixing the the knee.i'm going to hss.hospital to see if i can get a partial knee replacment it's less invasive and the healing is about half.

_swank_ replied to maz54's response:
I've had both a partial knee replacement and a total. A partial is not less invasive. They still cut your leg wide open. A partial can only be done if only one compartment of your knee is bad. If you are bone on bone on both sides of the knee you need a total replacement. You also have to find a surgeon that is comfortable doing them. They can be trickier than a total.

kathcasc replied to maz54's response:
Hi maz54 - Can you please tell me about the kinesio tape? I
would certainly like to give it a try. I hear what you are saying
about the bone on bone coming back to bite me. I know I need the surgery but at this point would like to hold off until Jan.
Where can I purchase the tape
Hoping to hear from you

deboat97 responded:
kathcasc - I am now 56 years old and had a total knee replacement in December 2009. Rehab was definitely extremely painful, and I did not get my full range of motion back, dispite going to rehab long after my insurance stopped paying for it. However, I am back water skiing on one ski, playing doubles tennis (wearing a brace just to help extend the life of the new knee) and snow skiing in Colorado. I went to Colorado January of 2011 and 2012, and was able to ski 4-5 days straight with no pain and no brace. My daily activities are not compromised unless I'm getting out of a car that is low to the ground. My knee doesn't bend enough, so I have to scoot a little sideways. The total knee replacement was not a choice for me, as I was in too much daily pain to go on at all. Now, I'm pain free and only slightly inconvenienced occassionally when the knee won't bend enough, but it has allowed me to get back to all my sports and everyday activities. I, too, have a terrible time coming out of anesthesia. Talk to your anesthesiologist. There are drugs they can add to the anesthesia to help you come out of it more quickly. They work well. Good Luck!

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Arthritis in foot
I have had severe arthritis in my right foot for over 4 years now. In 2006, I had cortisone shots and they worked for awhile. Now I just ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.