Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New knee pain -- piano?
macgyverhiker posted:
I'm a runner, biker, and church pianist, 60yo female, and have pain and a little swelling in my right knee for the last couple weeks. Thought it was runner's knee + arthritis + biking, but remembered it started a couple weeks ago after playing piano for church service. It's gotten worse over a couple weeks. Just realized that when I first noticed it, I'd been practicing piano for a week for a wedding, and in the 2 weeks since then, I've really been hitting the practice hard, couple hours a day. Running makes it worse (I'm only running 2-3 miles.) Cycling does not hurt it until I go over about 30 miles, and even then the discomfort is slight. I'm pretty sure it's the increase in pedaling the piano combined my other activities, since neither running nor biking ever hurt my knees before, and only my piano pedal knee is affected. Any comments on this? Thank goodness the wedding is only a few days away. I'm afraid I'm going to have to back off on running until my "piano knee" heals.

georgia888 responded:
Hello macgyverhiker,
Firstly, let me commend you for leading such an active life.
I am not a medical professional however, I would say that your knee is being over-worked. I would advise resting it for a while uuntil the swelling goes down. Do you have access to a warm water pool? This can be very therapeutic to arthritic and/or injured joints while allowing one to exercise without the impact.

Good luck & keep us posted.

georgia

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Total hip replacement for OA
I was uncertain and quite frightened by the thought of having a total hip replacment for my osteoarthritic hips, the right being worse than ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.