Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
at my wit's end
LadyPaleWinter posted:
Hi! I have OA in my knees and back, but my right knee is particularly bad. I am always so stiff in the knees in the morning that I almost fall over trying to stand. My right knee is really swollen, and hurts about at an 11 on a 1-10 scale. I was prescribed naproxen which doesn't work, and then flexaril which was a joke. I received a cortisone injection in the right knee, but that didn't seem to do much after about the 2nd day. I've also now been prescribed vicodin, but that even rarely helps! I try to go on walks, but can't really make it that far at all, and as far as the gym, all the strength training exercises are unbearable. I'm sitting here writing this at 4:47 AM because the pain has been getting so bad recently in that right knee, that I NEVER sleep through the night anymore. None of my docs seem to think this is a big deal! I don't know what to do... I'm now losing weight on a vegan diet, but that's not instantaneous, so I feel like I'm up against a wall and in a world of hurt. If anyone has any advice, I would be very appreciative!! Thanks-- C

_swank_ responded:
Have you discussed a knee replacement yet? Sounds like it's time. There's little else you can do once your knees get that bad.

sundance responded:
my goodnesss, i could have written your post. it all sounds just like me. iam at least 100lbs overweight. doc will not operate untili lose it. what all do you eat iam interested. maybe we need to try another doctor, i don't know. twice i went to the doctor and he ssid to come back in a year after i have weight loss surgery, but i don't want to dothat,so i haven't been baCK, BUT I AM IN SO MUCH PAIN IN KNEES AND HIPS, THAT I AM ABOUT READY TO DO SOMETHING i feel your pain. i truly hope you can get some releif

hurtinbrian replied to sundance's response:
I can relate to all that I have read so far. I'm new to all of this also with the oa in my knees and hip replacement. Now my doctor wants to play games with those shots that failed twice with my lower back and hip. All that I can tell any of you here is to not just find a doctor but a doctor who is alive and respectful. Anything less than that YOU FIRE THAT DOCTOR and get a real human. Most of these "quacks" were the geeks back in school who got picked on and never learned how to reach people and have no personality to begin with. I think the shots is a legal loophole where they make their gravy money to pay for their BMW and really don't care about the profession.I worked in a customer related industry for over 32 years and I would never talk to another human being the way most of these "professional" doctors do. I know there are some really good caring doctors out there but I haven't meet any yet. They all are about fitting as many patients as they can each day to make the big money running from one exam room to another with a personality of a rat.My last doctor was in my exam room for a total of 32 seconds! I was polite to him and said nothing like I just did here ! You wouldn't put up with a rude carpet cleaner so why deal with somebody who's going to eventually cut you open?? Don't mean to sound so negative but I'm so sick and tired of my entire future depending on what some burned out doctor who is obviously is way over their head with huge patient loads. I too are overweight but only got that way when my oa took over.If you have any second thoughts regarding your doctor,get a different doctor right away! I changed doctors and that really helped me! If your doctor runs through your examination room and you feel ripped off,get very vocal and get another doctor!! Hope this helps any of you.

SHAH12345 responded:
I HAVE RIGHT HIP PAIN WHEN I WALK I GOT PAIN AND HURT ON MY BUTTOCK

janelap responded:
have you ever tried the swimming pool? water therapy works for me..I go to the local community pool and do water walking or arobics with weights and this really helps the knees....I have beening going for 8 years and have much less pain when I go regularly...if I miss can see the pain return.....at least 3 days a week is good....try it, it may work for you, you also have a social time as other older people are always there also....

janelap replied to janelap's response:
Water is very soothing on our joints and it is exercise!!!! It is not stressful on the joints which is very good....All of you should try this....the doctors don't have all the answers, and sometimes you need to help yourself. TRY THE WATER it WORKS FOR ME,ALSO KEEPS THE WEIGHT DOWN .

dapeck responded:
had a left knee replacement after all other was exhausted. my right knee started acting up 2 years ago. i have had cortisone injections , which did nothing for the pain. i then went to a 3 series halogen shots, 1 per week for 3 weeks. it worked great for about a year, i then had a five week series and it worked even better and i am not totally pain free but much better. i also have spinal stenosis in the back. i have had cortisone injections for that too, but i am not sold on them. i do exercise daily. i can hardly walk sometimes in the morning but stretching improves it greatly. i do interval training on a stationary cycle, which helps both knees and back. i also do 24 minutes of circuit exercises using light weights and jakes tower(rubber bands). i do this 3 days a week and i do 40 minutes of yoga/stretching exercises 3 days a week. it really helps. i am 71 and i lost 28 lbs which puts me at only 20 lbs from my weight in 1959 at high school graduation.for every lb you lose you take off 4 to 5 lbs pressure on knees and back.

Kathy333 responded:
Have you seen a physiotherapist? I did and was given some gentle exercises tailored to my specific muscle weakness (on the inside of my knee. It made a big difference.
I also know some people who have had good success with some newer type injections of hyaluronic acid.

debcanada responded:
Really don't know what part of the country you live in but I can tell you from the past three years, what my experience has been. In June, 2009, I had tkr on my left knee by a doctor who could have cared less for me after the surgery. I have had so much pain from this surgery and without my family physician's help I would have never had uncovered my problem. The original Orthopedic Surgeon had told me in February, 2012, he suspected I was allergic to the nickel in the replacement and gave me three to six months to get my mind right to have a revision. Well, my family doctor sent me to an allergist for metal and resins testing & the tests shows I am allergic to the bone cement. To correct this I will have to be taken to Special Services Hospital, New York, NY to have the replacement removed, with either my leg fused straight or amputated above the knee & a prosthetic. Both of my knees needed replaced at the time and I had asked the doctor to replace both but he said I couldn't bear the pain and he was right. But if that had happened, I would be looking at losing both legs. I am only relaying my story to make you aware to find the best doctor you can in whatever area you can and do your homework before undergoing such a drastic, painful surgery. Total knee replacements help thousands of people but there are many in the same boat I am. Since learning this new information, I have found a new doctor that is monitoring me every six months until it is time to have my next surgery. He is a kind, understanding doctor, I feel blessed to have found. Just please do not jump into a tkr, find a great doctor & give yourself plenty of time to heal. It is a long journey. I hope you will keep posting, so we may all help each other as much as possible. God Bless You & heal your pain.

sundance replied to SHAH12345's response:
me too. don't know what to do ,or who to go to. it is a pain in the neck to feel this way.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

pain relief with cod liver oil and orange juice
I have heard from 2 ladies that taking cod liver oil 1 Tab in orange juice over a long period of time releaved their osteoarthritis pain. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.