Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    bronme62400 posted:
    Hi to all~
    I have been very frustrated for awhile now. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia several years ago. I have also been told I have degenerative and osteo arthritis as well. Several years ago I had brain surgery and in the process they removed my occipital that time they just left it that way and put in no plate. My chiropractor has said that my neck is sinking into my spine. Along with all this my depression is escalated when I'm in pain.I had thought about applying for disability because my right hand which is dominant my fingers lock up, swell and my chiropractor told me I have scar tissue from the arthritis. I guess I'm looking for guidance..thanks for listening....
    georgia888 responded:
    Hello bronme62400,
    I am sorry to hear of your problems. Often, Fibro co-exists with Osteoarthritis (OA). I suffer from both & the Fibro can really exacerbate the pain of OA.

    I have never heard of the neck sinking into the spine as you describe. What is your chiro doing for this? Have you discussed treatment options with other doctors (orthopedic and/or neurosurgeons)?

    I have found warm water therapy to be very beneficial for the stiffness & pain caused by our conditions. Is this a feasible option for you? Have you tried physical therapy of any kind?

    With regard to your inquiry about disability, if your symptoms make it impossible for you to work, then this would be an option. The process can be a long one but if you have the support of your doctors it can be made easier. You don't mention your age, but this, too, is a factor in being successful with a claim.

    I hope this is helpful. Please keep us informed on your situation.

    bronme62400 replied to georgia888's response:
    Hi Georgia
    Thanks for responding...I am 55 yrs old. Yes, in the past I have done physical therapy and it made it worse. Oh yes, warm water is def a miracle for the husband took out the tub during a renovation 5 years ago, so yes I do miss that! When they didnt replace or put a plate in the (occipital bone supports your neck) it is shrinking and literally settles..I have a collar I wear if itgets too bad. My neurologist in Boston wanted to seee me but my insurance won't cover it...I am in the process of getting another specialist...hopefully they will help me...Thanks Georgia
    georgia888 replied to bronme62400's response:
    Hello bronme62400,
    Another option for medical help would be through a teaching hospital. If there is one within reasonable distance, please look into this as well.

    Don't give up until you find the help you need.

    Best of luck & keep us informed.


    Helpful Tips

    what should i do
    sir my name is rajesh, I had an accident and my hip is broken Dr. had fitted rod, but after one year my hip is start paining Dr are telling ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.