Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Back Issue
AprylSS posted:
Hello. I have been following this feed on back issue. Mine first began when I was 18. My back froze (pinched nerve). It was horrible. After that all seemed well. Fast forward to 24 yrs of age. I began to feel tightness and pain. I hated every moment of everyday. I had a toddler who I had so many issues with as I could not play with her, hold her or even chase her. Life sucked for me. I began to see a Chiropractor who at first was a huge help. He even had a "shock" like treatment and it was fairly cool and helped. But things just got worse no sooner then they got better. I ignored so much of this for so long. I found an Orthopedic Surgeon to help. I began small easy doses of physical therapy. No good. Lost weight. No good. Epidural shots, steroid shots, cortisone shots. After a few years of this we decided surgery would be my only grace. I had Degenerative Bone Disease. He explained my Xrays looked like it belonged to a 80 yr old woman suffering for years. So I went for it. Four screws and two disc replacement. I never felt better, I slept on my stomach for the first time in years. I was able to carry my son. I was so happy and healthy. Until a few months ago. I have been basically medicating this pain slowly for awhile now. I was in so much pain I was asked to do yet another MRI. Come to find 8 yrs after my surgery the disease has spread and now Arthritis was in play. I am now 36, no other choice but to have yet another surgery. I am saddened by this. but medicating everyday is not an option. When people tell me their back hurts I look at them and wish they really understood real back pain. I am worried as i get older more surgeries will come. As my DBD is so bad it's off the charts. I'm only 36 (echo). I only hope this surgery will help out!!

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
.Back pain is different for everyone. My approach to back pain is to start wtih physical therapy and medications. I often offer accupuncture. Some patients get benefit from steroid injections and some like yourself require surgery.Sorry to hear about your situation and hope you feel better.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

what should i do
sir my name is rajesh, I had an accident and my hip is broken Dr. had fitted rod, but after one year my hip is start paining Dr are telling ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.