Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Burning/scalded mouth syndrome
An_249158 posted:
regularly recieve corticosteroid injections in my lower back for severe chronic pain. just this past year i started to see signs of thrush about a week after my shot. if i dnt get my doctor to treat my mouth in time the infection would head south to my privates. i am wondering if it is because i get the shots every 6 to 8 weeks or could it have something to do with me stopping my estogen. it seems awefully coincidental and it has become so bad that i just dont eat for the pain. i have lost about 20lbs.

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
Steroids can increase the risk of thrush or yeast. Dry mouth from Sjogrens syndrome( an autoimmune condition that causes inflammation of the salivary glands and subsequent dmouth dryness) and antibiotics are other causes. Medication can help so I encourage patients to visit with their doctor to help sort out the cause and get treatment if indicated.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Relief for Knee OA
Doing squats on a Total Gym (2 or 3 reps of 20) at an incline, taking Nopalea, whirlpool baths and a proactive attitude through prayer have ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.