Skip to content
BEST WORST FOODS
Heartbroken posted:
What are the foods to avoid and what are the really good ones to reduce inflammation What vitamins or supplements are helpful. I am knew to this- have it in two fingers Which is sad- I play violin professionally - but no longer can keep that up. Would lie some help. Thanks

georgia888 responded:
Hello Heartbroken,
Some anti-inflammatory foods include:

- chards
- ginger
- almond milk
- tart cherries
- flax seeds (ground)

The generally good diet of plenty of fruits and vegetables is good for this and all conditions.

If you can tolerate aspirin, one or two a day is also beneficial.

Unless one is exposed to daily sunshine, a Vitamin D supplement should also be included.

Staying away from sugar and processed foods is also helpful.

We are what we eat, so become educated on good nutrition & stick with a healthy diet.

OA is manageable. Exercise, too, is very important. I find warm water aerobics & swimming help greatly with flexibility. Walking, too, is very good. Motion is lotion, so keep moving.

Best wishes to you.

georgia

Heartbroken replied to georgia888's response:
thanks so much- what about fish oil - do you take that-? how much??? my diet is really good. It is mainly in two fingers- I am pianist so it is very upsetting - I soak my fingers- that helps.do you know something that helps to open Jars????

georgia888 replied to Heartbroken's response:
Consider yourself "lucky" if your arthritis is confined to a couple of fingers. The latest on fish oil supplements is that they may not be nearly as effective as the omega 3's, etc. found in the actual fish. If you like fish, eat lots of it. I'm sure you are benefiting in many ways from a good diet.

There are all kinds of gadgets that can help with opening jars. Have you shopped online or at a local store that carries kitchen products? You may even want to check with some arthritis websites for suggestions.

Good luck.

georgia

p.s. I love the piano.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

karen
I'm 55 and have had osto for about 10 years. I use a cream called Valtaren works really great. I put it on first thing in the morning ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.