Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Unispacer Problems, PKR
    lindymcc posted:
    I am currently awaiting surgery to remove my unispacer, it has been pure h*ll for me, I am in constant pain, I can no longer swim, ride a bike, or walk normally, Walking though wal-mart leaves me in severe pain, my leg is swollen and does not bend the way it should. My alignment on the right side of my body is completely off.

    I am going to have a Partial Knee Replacement and in hopes this will get me back to normal.

    I had this unispacer surgery about 2 years ago, the doctor said it was a successful option, I thought all this pain I was having was something wrong I did during PT.

    I went and saw a doc last week and he tells me there is a high failure rate of this procedure and no longer is being done, but I cant find any websites that back this up, besides the message boards i have visited that warn against having this and failure rate amongst the posters.

    I currently live in Oklahoma and I can not find a pain specialist, the family doc here told me, to drink cod oil and take Advil, that will relieve my arthritis! DON'T THINK SO!!

    I have been on arthritis medication for 5 yrs but it's doing my insides an injustice. NSAIDS also do not help out with the swelling and pain and also makes me sick.

    I am from Arkansas and was on pain management that worked well, but no one here understands the sheer pain I am in. I have RA in both legs and back, I had the Uni spacer put in my right knee.

    Anyone else experience this after having Unispacer surgery?

    Also what should I expect with Partial Knee Replacement?
    _swank_ responded:
    Your current doctor is correct. Unispacers have a very high failure rate and I don't know of any doctor that would even suggest trying them. As far as I know, they haven't been used for years. I've seen countless posts from people that have had them removed. You might want to check out the KneeGuru site if you haven't already:

    I had a partial knee replacement a little over two years ago. So far, I couldn't be happier with the results. Most of the time I'm completely pain free. When I do have pain it's minor and nothing like what I experienced before the surgery. My doctor did warn me that I would eventually need a revision since I was just short of my 49th birthday when I had it done. He said at most I could hope for 10 years. At that time I may need a total replacement or a revision. I'll worry about it when it happens. Right now I'm enjoying what I have.

    One final note, before you have any surgery, especially something major, you should always always get as many opinions from other doctors as possible. That might have saved you from what you're going through now.
    AzChampion responded:
    Yes I finally found someone that has the same problems I do. Your issues are identical to mine.
    tr2000us replied to _swank_'s response:
    I have had one in my knee since 2003. And it's working very well. Considering the pain I went through before that

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.