Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
OA in knee
An_249729 posted:
Due to cartilage removal and deterioration on remaing cartilage, I have OA in my left knee. I walk and lift weights for exercise, currently. Is the recommended 30 minutes per day, 5 times per week of walking too much for this condition? I am a 64 year old male, by the way.

henry88 responded:
Ya, if you reduce the walk up to 20mins also its okay but do remember exercise only at that time when the pain is not severe and don't lift very heavy weights or else that would put an negative impact. If at all you find any swelling then stop doing any kinda exercise as it will exert a lot of pressure on the affected area.

DWC01 replied to henry88's response:
Thanks, henry88. That sounds like good advice on both counts.

Anon_180993 responded:
am 71 and still work part time as a trainer 20 hours a week and i do 60 minutes of exercise daily 6 days a week. i have had a left knee & a right hip replacement. i have had 2 back surgeries. i have spinal stenosis of the back and my right knee has had halogen shots 3 years in a row. exercise helps me more than anything. i do interval training with dumbbells, kettlebells and jakes tower. i ride an exercise cycle and i dance to the oldies. i also do yoga/stretching exercises. walking bothers me so i do a limited amount of walking and i stay away from stairs.

_swank_ responded:
Personally, I think you'd be better off doing something that is easier on your knees like biking or swimming. My doctor always told me that if it hurts then you're hurting it, meaning don't do anything that made my knee hurt more. Biking prolonged the life of my knee.

DWC01 replied to _swank_'s response:
Swank, thanks for the advice. I may switch to biking if walking on the treadmill starts making things worse. What about ellipticals?

henry88 replied to DWC01's response:
Its my pleasure. If it works for you then I would be really pleased.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Arthritis in foot
I have had severe arthritis in my right foot for over 4 years now. In 2006, I had cortisone shots and they worked for awhile. Now I just ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.