Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Total Knee Replacement
PJustice72 posted:
Dec 12, 2012 I had total knee replacement surgery of my right knee. I had several complications, including losing too much blood and ended up having 2 blood transfusions. I still have significant pain and stiffness in my right knee and my dr is acting like I am faking. He gave me a 6 day supply of pain medication and would do no more. I don't know what else to do. I am in terrible pain and continue to be off work because I cannot get any relief. I barely get 2 hours of sleep any given night. Any advice would be appreciated. I am so discouraged

Pamela

highdesert responded:
Pamela,
Sounds like you are having a rough time. You are early in your recovery, fatigue is normal, pain and stiffness is normal, depression is normal, lack of sleep is normal, you had major surgery it takes time. Your knee is in Charge! You can expect to be off work at least 3 months.
Rest, Ice, Elevate, and Medicate. If the surgeon will not give you pain meds, then call your GP for better pain control.
Check out Bonesmart.org for additional information and support for your knee replacement. I hope you have already found the site, wonderful support and information will be found there.
I have had a knee replacement, this is a marathon not a sprint.

PJustice72 replied to highdesert's response:
Finally managed to obtain pain meds from my surgeon but I feel like I've been thrown to the wolves. I don't see him again for a month and I am worried. I'm 4 weeks out now, still unmanageable pain, keep spiking 102 temps and pains that are so severe I throw up, that they ignore, starting water therapy which scares me because of the pain. My knee is so weak and when I walk it feels so unstable like it's hyperflexing and feeling things knock around inside just isn't right although my surgeon says it's normal. I am losing hope here. I just turned 40 and I'm living like i'm 80!

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Relief for Knee OA
Doing squats on a Total Gym (2 or 3 reps of 20) at an incline, taking Nopalea, whirlpool baths and a proactive attitude through prayer have ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.