Physical Therapy??
klav99 posted:
Hi!

I am 35 y.o. and I have Arthritis in my lower back and hips. It is in my L4 & L5. I saw a rheumotologist this week and she suggested P.T. for it. I have tried it once before for about 3 months and it did nothing. Has anyone had any success with this? Also, she put me on Mobic. Has anyone had any good results with this med? Kind of frustrated because I know this isn't going to help the pain I deal with on a regular basis. Any input would be helpful!

Thanks
Kristen

georgia888 responded:
Hello Kristen,
I'm sorry that you have these problems at your age however,
the condition is manageable.

I find warm water exercises to be very therapeutic for my osteoarthritis of the lower back, hip & knee. The buoyancy of the water allows the body to move more flexibly & without impact to the suffering joints.

If membership to a gym is a feasible option, please look into this. Most gyms offer a trial basis so you then have the option of trying it out before committing to a membership contract.

Please let us know how you are doing.

Best wishes,
georgia

henry88 responded:
Hi Klav, very sorry to know about the pain now you are through, Arthritis can be controlled up to some extent through physical activities by reducing the stiffness, pain. So, don't be frustrated with the agony you are through now. Just have patience and follow the instructions of your PT.

Romerro responded:
Hello Kristen, I was 28 when I was first diagnosed with RA, initially indicated by a high ANA titer, only later to be diagnosed with OA. After using different medications and OTC remedies of which I had positive results, which I wont mention in this reply, I mistakenly discovered an absolute to my arthritis pain when i went on a low carb diet to lose weight. I discovered that my flexibility increased and my pain level had all but diminished. I thought it to be the OTC treatment that I was using but when I reintroduced carbs back into my diet all arthritic symptoms returned. I thought that the OTC had reached a threshold, so i increased the dosage, which seemed to work but did not fully return me to the state I had previously experience on the diet. it wasnt til several years later when I decided to lose some weight again via low carb dieting that I experienced the same pain free state once again. I then ran an internet search on "carbohydrates relation to arthritis" and found countless links to articles on direct links between carbohydrates inflammation and RA. Im not sure if RA leads to OA but I believe that its something to consider as an individual since the medical community doesnt have the answers most of us are looking for. They only supply treatment. Do your own search on this subject matter and come up with your own conclusions and I hope my story aids in your future autoimmune health.

I am now 43 and pain free or the last 7 years and healthy.

kinireland responded:
Hi Kristen, I am a Physio in practice for 25 years and have made back health my main focus. Arthritis does have an impact on the lower back but there could be other restrictions in the lower back area which are causing abnormal loads to it and therefore producing pain. Poor postural and ergonomic fitness has a huge influence on back pain as does inflexibility. What you need is a good evaluation lasting about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to determine whether the pain is coming from pure joint changes or from the abnormal soft tissue loads put on those joints. My money is on the latter. Trigger points in muscles will produce the same kind of pain that disc and joint changes produce and you have to get them released by a qualified Physio who has a lot of hands on expertise and experience. If your Physio just put you on a table and used modalities,it's time to find a new Physio as they are just treating the symptoms of back pain instead of the root cause. 90% of my clients are significantly better in 1-2 treatment sessions with just addressing the soft tissue and postural control issues and they are nearly 100% compliant with any exercise or movement activities I give them. I will be publishing a website shortly to address these issues: wwwbodyawarebodysmart,com or you can follow me on facebook: Karen Roberts, or e-mail for advice to kr_babsproj@hotmail,com. I hope that helps. Back pain is highly treatable and wholly preventable. Thanks.