Skip to content
L5-S1 arthritis in lower back
john2220 posted:
Hello

I was just diagnosed with mild arthritis on my L5-S1 vertebrae especially on the right side. While I dont feel joint pain, I often have tightness and soreness in my hamstrings and hip area. I am a very active 40 year old male and I have had to adjust my exercise quite bit but still get these symptoms. I found out today that my PT was not approved for further visits so I am wondering if anyone has had similar experiences and what they did to improve symptoms. I sit a lot for work and mostly get the soreness when I sit and not as much when active. Thanks for your help.

georgia888 responded:
Hello John,
If you must sit for prolonged periods make a great effort to get up & move around every 20 minutes or so. Some pointers to ensure this at work include, placing your waste basket away from your desk so that you have to get up to dispose of garbage; stand & move around while talking on the phone; consider an exercise ball to use as a chair - the body is constantly in motion as it adjusts to the ball; go for a walk on your lunch break, etc.

"Motion is lotion" & a sedentary life style is damaging to all.

Many gym workouts, etc. are undone when followed by a day of constant sitting at the desk. If your job is a desk job, you must make a conscious & ongoing effort to move around as much as possible. So should everyone else in the office whether or not they suffer from OA.

Good luck.

georgia

Winks2013 responded:
Hi John, I was just diagnosed with the same thing. I went through PT and it didn't work. I went to a chiropractor and it helped a little then I had to drive. I had an injection done in my lower right joint in my back and it worked for three days. I had a follow-up appt. from the injection and they recommended me to join a gym where they have a pool and hang on to a noodle and let you legs hang. That helped a lot but today I am still sore. My Dr also said to purchase an inversion table which I am waiting for the delivery of. I bought an ironman table from Walmart's website. I am going in for an epidural on Thursday. I hope this helps you!

georgia888 replied to Winks2013's response:
Hello Winks2013,
Would you please report to us how you do on the inversion table? I've been thinking about one for some time now. It seems to make a lot of sense in that it would provide relief by temporarily loosening the discs.

Good luck!

georgia

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

karen
I'm 55 and have had osto for about 10 years. I use a cream called Valtaren works really great. I put it on first thing in the morning ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.