Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Doctors want to treat with Fibromyalgia meds
acecrave posted:
20 years ago I experienced a ruptured disc between C6 & C7. My left arm and hand were temporarily paralyzed. Surgery and PT relieved the pain and helped me to get back the use of my arm & hand. I am a hairdresser and have worked in my profession for 33 years. I have had to quit working. My symptoms have been getting worse, a lot faster since I have quit working!!! And I do try to keep moving and active.
Over the past 10 years I have developed and been diagnosed with more herniating disc in my C spine and upper T spine. I have been experiancing alot of pain in my lower back and hips for a couple of years now, but have had any test confirming degeneration in my lumbar spine. My neurosurgeon has stated that my condition is too extensive for surgery to give any relief. My primary care doctor prescribes and tries to help me manage the pain with pain meds and my rheumatologist, who formally diagnosed me with Osteoarthritis of the Spine, keeps trying to treat me with meds typically precsribed for fibromyalgia. Is this common? Has it worked for anyone?
For me, the side affects are as miserable as the pain! She has had me try Gabapintin, Cymbalta and now Savella. I usually can't make through the initial low dose period before I have to quit taking them. They seem to increase my pain as well as giving me excrutiating headaches and odd twitches, dizziness and overall foggy sick feeling.
I have been prescribed Celebrex but it doesn't help as much as Ibuprophen and my Dr. is concerned about the damage to my stomach I may experience from taking so much ibuprophen so I try to alternate use of Celebrex & Ibuprophen Every other week or so. And I take Hyrocodone twice a day. I can tell that I am building a resistance to this treatment and have tried some injections. Some work, some don't.
I just wonder if the Cymbalta, Savella type drugs are worth sticking with? Would I get past the awful side affects if I keep taking it and is it a valid treatment option for Osteoarthritis, (not Fibromyalgia)?

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

what should i do
sir my name is rajesh, I had an accident and my hip is broken Dr. had fitted rod, but after one year my hip is start paining Dr are telling ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.