Skip to content
Please help, knees are killing me.
An_250388 posted:
Hello everyone, I need some help. I've been suffering from knee pain for the past 3 years and was wondering if anyone had any words of advice. Following a recent arthroscopy, I've been diagnosed with grade 4 chondromalacia and a chondral defect on my lateral femoral condyle approx 1 1/2 by 1 1/2cm. Funny thing is, I was very hesitant to have surgery in the first place, and following surgery, my pain was much greater than before. Surgery was back in feb of 2012 and now I've just recieved my third orthovisc injection, which doesn't seem to be of any resolve. I'm turning 35 on Valentines day and often feel helpless, scared to death of what the future holds. My ortho has perscribed me all sorts of pills (Tramadol, Naproxen, Moloxicam, even Norco), but nothing seems to help the constant throb. I work as a bellman at a resort and find it nearly impossible to get through a day without a great deal of pain. Hard to leave my occupation (have 14 years of seniority), but feel I may have no other option. My ortho has talked about repairing the defect through grafting, but says I would be out of work for 12 to 18 months. At this point, every step hurts and my knees ache constantly. Quality of life seems to be getting worse by the day and haven't found improvement from any of my numerous treatments, which include bracing, pt, meds, surgery, injections.
I find myself depressed much of the time, feeling like I have started the slow downward-spiral that will eventually lead to tkr. My quality of life has decreased greatly, no exercise, cant even ride the stationary bike without being in agony. I've read posts, and this community is awesome. It's comforting to know that there are other people out there enduring similar ordeals, sometimes I feel like I'm surrounded by healthy people with perfect joints and no pain. Any comforting words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

georgia888 responded:
Hello,
I am sorry about your pain, especially because you are so young.

Is it at all feasible for you to join a gym/club that offers a warm water pool? Water aerobics has helped so many, including myself, who suffer with joint issues. Due to the buoyancy of the water, we can move unlike we can on land. The benefits of this water exercise are carried on to land, etc.

Best of luck to you.

georgia

grizzly78 replied to georgia888's response:
Georgia, thank you for your reply. I do belong to a gym that has a warm water pool. I haven't really gone down that road yet, but I do think it would help. I'll look into it and let you know how it goes. At this point, I'm willing to try anything.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Total hip replacement for OA
I was uncertain and quite frightened by the thought of having a total hip replacment for my osteoarthritic hips, the right being worse than ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.