Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Knee Replacement
wjb1958 posted:
I Need suggestions- I am a 54 year old male, somewhat good health, due to my shot knees, I can't walk, sit for more than 1/2 in one place and now have pain when sleeping, I can't take it no more. It's been 5 years this way and got worse as time went on--gained 100 lbs due to not being able to exercise or even walk. Anyway, I was going to have one knee done 1 week, 1 week later the other knee done all while in the hospital. I hear so much about the "Quadriceps Sparring" technique. This is when the quad isn't cut during surgery. I asked my surgeon if he does that type of procedure and he laughed saying all surgeons does that. Have you all found that to be true?
Thank you,

_swank_ responded:
After they make the initial incision they move all the muscles aside so they can expose the knee joint. They don't cut them, at least not on purpose.

As for exercise, get in a pool. It's the best way to get exercise when you have bad knees.

crystalesa responded:
My friend had quad sparring surgery about 4 months ago and according to him, it's not a ho-hum procedure every doctor knows about. Make sure you get a 2nd opinion and agreed on the pool. Before and during therapy, the pool can be your best workout partner.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.