Skip to content
basal joint surgery
alntony posted:
I am scheduled to have the surgery on my right hand (I am right handed) in 2 weeks. After talking to the therapist, she said the recovery is rough, and reading these posts I am scared to have th surgery. I do have pain most of the time, but can live with it. I just don't want to lose the use of my hand. However and way too afraid to have the surgery. Any advise would help.

Bennington responded:
I will be post up 8 weeks tomorrow. At this stage in the eexperience I regret my decision to have the surgery done. I was never told what to expect post op and had I known there was going to be this much constant pain, and I mean constant, my pain level even with taking hydromorphone has never been below a 6 out of 10 with 10 being debilitating.

I am told that in the end the surgery will have been worth it and I am hoping that is correct. Unless you are able to devote a good 6 months to the recovery, without stress on your hand from from either working at a job or doing normal hand related type of activities, I would recommend that you wait. This surgery is not for squimish. The constant pain has been very draining not only from a phyrsical perspective but from an emotional one as well. I wish someone had sat me down prior to having the surgery so that I could have made the right decision after knowing exactly what to expect and whether or not I was able to commit to the recovery at this point in my career and my lifestyle. Hope this helps. Best wishes!

alntony replied to Bennington's response:
Thank you for your honesty. The doctor told me that my arm will be numb until the next day because of the block. Did you have a block? They said if I didn't have the surgery I would eventually loose use of my thumb. I don't want the surgery but don't want that to happen either. . I can only be off work for 2 weeks. The doctor said that would be fine. I can drive after the sutures are out. Can you do anything with your hand? I am a manager at a medical practice and at least need to use the computer. Did you have a lot of pain before the surgery?

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

what should i do
sir my name is rajesh, I had an accident and my hip is broken Dr. had fitted rod, but after one year my hip is start paining Dr are telling ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.