Skip to content
CPM Machine or no CPM Machine after TKR?
kathcasc posted:
Three weeks ago I had a left TKR. I was very surprised to find out
afterwards that my surgeon does not use the CPM machine. That
was one question I never thought to ask because I thought all Dr's
used it. I am having therapy at home and although it is helping I do
find that my knee stiffens quite often. I can't help but think that I
would have benefited from the CPM. I have friends that had TKR
and feel the machine is helping. I have also heard that out patient
therapy is tougher when the machine is not used because the knee
is so stiff and it needs more work. Does anybody have input on this?
If you didn't use the machine how are you doing now?

charlie24u responded:
What is a CPM machine? is that the machine that inflates and deflates to keep your circulation going?

charlie24u

pgt1956 responded:
kathcasc,

I had a TKR on my right knee on August 7th, 2012, and will have the other TKR (left knee) on May 28th, 2013. I used a CPM (Continuous Passive Motion) machine . . .and will again. It was one of the HARDEST part of my after surgery/recovery - - -but what helped me to regain the range of motion in my knee quicker. Believe me, 6 hours EVERY day for 21 CONTINUOUS days immediately after surgery was "rough" to say the least. . . but, for me, it's a must. Hope my experience and suggestions help. : ) Good luck with your recovery. [P.S. Let "patience" and "ice packs" be your friends!> ; D

pgt1956 replied to charlie24u's response:
charlie24u,

A CPM machine - Continuous Passive Motion - was used by myself and other TKR patients immediately after surgery and for the next 3 weeks to not only prevent blood clots but to help (along with physical therapy 3 times a week) with range of motion. It has an attachment that you control by starting off with it actually moving your knee "continuously" for 6 hours per/day. I think I started off with an angle of 60 degrees, and then increased it daily by 5 degrees. Once you hit 100 degees -for me - it really got uncomfortable. BUT. . .and I can't emphasize enough . . you stick with the increments until about 125 degrees (if I remember correctly). Your doctor/therapist will help you along and will give you your own individual directions. I can't imagine myself having the revovery that I have had WITHOUT using the CPM machine. Hope that I could help with my experiences. Good Luck! : )

kathcasc replied to pgt1956's response:
pgt1956
Thanks for your input. I am now one month and a few days
out of surgery and can't believe the pain I am still getting.
Sleeping at night just doesn't happen. I am taking my pain
meds but it doesn't help much. The past few nights I have
aches in my calves. I spoke to my therapist about that and
she said I am in the aggressive stages of healing and this
will go on for the next few weeks. However, my friend also
had a TKR the same day as me and has no pain at all.
She is using the CPM machine daily though. I will never
understand why my Dr doesn't use it. I can't help but think
that he is holding me back. Yesterday I was bending at 95
the therapist pushed me to 100 so I was happy with that.
My friend with the CPM is also bending at 95. So I do seem
to be coming along. I want to wish you good luck with your
other knee replacement! Yes, patience and ice packs
are our friends. Although sometimes I am not so sure
about the patience part!

pgt1956 replied to kathcasc's response:
kathcasc,

Just so you won't feel alone, the first couple times that I went back to my doctor, I was asked if I needed my pain meds refilled. I didn't need my pain meds refilled, but I still needed help with my sleep meds. I, too, had a rough time sleeping. Hopefully, you'll be similar to me and eventually your leg will settle down. I bought a couple of "knee pillows" that you can attach around your knee (using velcro) and that REALLY helped. I couldn't lie on my side with my knees touching for a long time. One day at a time. ; )

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.