Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Degenerative osteo disc disease
charlie24u posted:
Hello
I too have degenerative disc disease due to arthritis, as well as I am going to have bilateral TKR in April, I also have torn shoulders, carpal tunnel and a flat foot LOL. As far as taking care of your back is concerned, Stretching exercises work for me well. One really good one is the "Superman". Lay on your stomach and lift both legs and arms in the air to a count of 10 2x and also opposite arm and leg for a count of 10 each. Then do the cat pose from yoga arching your back up while you breath to a count of 10 then flat like a table top to the count of 10. I will feel this instantly. Lots of stretches and crunches if you can. I am sitting on my exercise ball as I type this, it is better than sitting in a chair.

I used to do water arobics too, my gym closed for repair and I don't know when they will open again. If anyone has a city gym in their town it is the least expensive, if your over 55 it's only $25 a year. I live in NYC. Writing this to you guys helps to remind me what I need to do each day.
God bless and good luck I hope this is helpful.

Charlie24u

darlyn05 responded:
Hey charlie24u!
Thanx for writing the stretching exercise suggestions. That really helps. I recently brought out a camping mat to try and do some floor exercises and such. I will definately add these in.

Good luck with the TKR in April. Let us know how it progresses for you.

georgia888 responded:
Hi Charlie,
Thanks for the great stretching recommendations.

I'm not aware of a city gym. Maybe they're found more in big cities. I pay about $750 per year for my membership but it's worth every penney. By going daily, I feel I really get my money's worth.

Good luck to you,
georgia

charlie24u replied to darlyn05's response:
HI darlyn,

I'm glad I could be of help. Please let me know if the floor exercises help they should. I find if I do it continuosly, they really help, just have to remind myself. I will let you know how the knee replacement goes as well.

charlie24u

charlie24u replied to georgia888's response:
Hi Georgia,

Yes in New York they belong to the Department of Parks. There are many in each borough. They are very reasonable and the $25 yearly fee will get you into any in the city. Well keep up with your exercises wherever you chose to do them.

Good luck to you as well.
Charlene

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.