Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
OSTEOARTHRITIS AND DEGENERATIVE DISC
SHELL41 posted:
I AM ONLY 41 AND I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH OSTEOARTHRITIS AND DEGENERATIVE DISC DISEASE. IT IS GENETIC. IT HAS GOTTEN SO BAD THAT I AM NOW HAVING TROUBLE WALKING. I HAVE IT IN MY SPINE, MY HANDS, MY LEGS, KNEES, ANKLES, AND FEET PLUS AM WORKING 40 HOURS A WEEK ON MY FEET AND STILL RAISING CHILDREN AND TRYING TO TAKE CARE OF MY HOUSE. THE DOCTORS HAVE SUGGESTED
PHYSICAL THERAPY BUT I AM SO PHYSICALLY EXHAUSTED AFTER WORK I CANNOT IMAGINE DOING THAT. I CANNOT STOP WORKING BECAUSE I CANNOT AFFORD TO. I FEEL LIKE I AM ABOUT READY TO GO CRAZY. MY HUSBAND DOES NOT UNDERSTAND HOW MUCH PAIN I AM IN, I DO NOT THINK ANYONE DOES UNLESS THEY HAVE THESE PROBLEMS. EVEN THE DOCTORS SAY I AM WAY TO YOUNG TO HAVE THIS EVEN THOUGH ALL THE XRAYS, MRIS, AND BLOOD TESTS SAY I DO. I HAVE A HERNIATED DISC NOW AND TWO BULGING DISCS. I JUST DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE. I KEEP READING THAT THIS IS A FULL TIME JOB TAKING CARE OF YOURSELF BUT HOW DOES SOMEONE AT MY AGE DO THAT AND HAVE TO WORK TO PAY THE BILLS AND RAISE A FAMILY. I HAVE NEVER BEEN THE TYPE OF PERSON TO LET STRESS GET TO ME BUT RIGHT NOW I FEEL HOPELESS. PLEASE ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT

darlyn05 responded:
Have your Dr's prescribed any pain meds for you? Does the MRI show any nerve irritation or compression? Can you change careers?

johnd12012 responded:
I have severe chronic pain much like that you have described.It is true that others who havent had to deal with this condition cant imagine the misery of dealing with it daily.I also work,help run a household,raising children etc..I have pain meds that only make me feel weird and cause un wanted side affects.My best advice,or what has made the biggest difference for me is a series of stretching type exercises (therapy) I do each morning as soon as I get up,while coffee is brewing,before shower.they take around 30 minutes to do,but have made a big difference in my pain levels,and ive had to take less pain medication.Im not saying therapy is easy,a cure,or will take away all pain,but you should experience less pain,and a better quality of life.Make time!give it a try!

YAnnettemiller responded:
I know exactly how you feel. I have had 2 back surgeries L5-S1 with no relief. It started off with a herniated disc. After the first surgery the disc completely collapsed. 14 months after 1st surgery I had to have a spinal fusion. That was in 1998. I now have scar tissue wrapping around the S1 nerve root which is what holds the sciatic nerve, due to the 2 back surgeries. My husband does not understand all of the pain I go through either.He thinks that I should be able to do all the things that I was able to do before I hurt my back. I also have Fibro. I also have arthritis of the spine. I am still trying to work and get next to no help around the house.People do not understand how it is if it is not happening to them directly. If any of you have read the threads for Fibromyalgia and Dr Mark Pellegrino, he also has Fibro, but, he is my Dr. He has a therapy called IV Lidocaine Therapy. It works pretty good. Due to insurance you can get this done once every 4 weeks, but, it has really made a difference for me. Every little bit of relief helps. I go to his office in Canton, OH. Ask your Dr if they know of anyone doing this therapy. Hope this can help you.

felix2298 responded:

Arthritis does not have a permanent cure but what is important is the pain management and to halt or at least delay the progression of the disease. There are many options available, from pills to surgery. SPMF Therapy is one such therapy that my father took. It has been proven to reduce pain significantly and halt the progression of the disease. It does not involve any surgery or pain, and has been tested to be completely safe. There is no restriction for age or even if the patient has some other medical condition such as diabetes. Personally, I feel it is the best and the safest, most painless option for treatment of arthritis. More details are available on the website, www.sbfhealthcare.com

lorikorell replied to felix2298's response:
where did he recieve this treatment ? Is it available in the US ?

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Relief for Knee OA
Doing squats on a Total Gym (2 or 3 reps of 20) at an incline, taking Nopalea, whirlpool baths and a proactive attitude through prayer have ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.