Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Severe Knee OA Questions
roo77777 posted:
Hi, I have severe knee osteoarthritis. The problem is, I'm 36 years old, with 2 year old and 10 month old sons. I don't have the luxury of staying off my feet. I walk an average of 9,000 steps per day, and on many days, especially lately, I'm in a lot of pain. Popping, cracking, locking, swelling. I bought a fancy Breg knee OA brace. It seems to help. I also have a prescription for Voltaren. Which I don't like to take regularly. I also ice my knee every night before I go to bed. My question to the community is: is there anyone in my situation? With severe knee OA, and can't stay off their feet? What are your coping mechanisms? Any tips for being active with severe knee OA? Thanks! Aaron

P.S. I'm not overweight. Weight loss won't have an effect on my knee.

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
In my patients who are young and develop OA, I will look for other possible causes such as too much iron in the blood. Some of the treatments I recommend to patients include, but are not limited oral NSAIDS as you have been presciribe,topical voltaren and other creams that can be compounded, steroid or hyaluronic injections such as Hyalgan,Syvisc. I also treat my patients with acupuncture and natural remedies. You can download a free copy of my book, called Natural Arthritis Treatment on the website, www.naturalarthritistreatment.com. Fianlly, some of my patients benefit from more comfortable shoe wear such as shoes with soft soles, such as Rockport and Easy Spirit.Finally, while the studies are mixed, inserts in the shoes to shift the weight on the knee has helped sometimes.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

what should i do
sir my name is rajesh, I had an accident and my hip is broken Dr. had fitted rod, but after one year my hip is start paining Dr are telling ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.