Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
severe arthritis and bleeding ulcers
donnanae posted:
Hello,

My name is Donna and I am new here. I am 42 years old and have been taking NSAIDs since I was in my early 20's. The most recent drug I have taken is meloxicam, and it was very effective for a number of years. I have a very high pain tolerance, and don't always know how sick I am until it is very bad. I had severe stomach pain and other symptoms, finally bloody stools and vomit. Went to the ER and got an endoscopy and colonoscopy. Turns out I have 5 bleeding ulcers. I found this out back in February. I was treated for terrible gut pain with hydrocodone, which can be tricky for me because I am in recovery for alcoholism and narcotic abuse. I have almost three years of sobriety. Anyway, I am off of the narcotics, and the arthritis pain is KILLING me. My doc says no more NSAIDS. The arthritis is very widespread, but worst in the neck and lower back. I have degenerative disc disease as well. I am reaching out for help. Any suggestions? Unfortunately, I am anemic and still very weak from the ulcers. Getting iron infusions and b12 shots. Have lost 35 lbs. Exercise is not a viable option for me.at this time. Have tried epsom salt baths, tiger balm/other "heating" rubs, chiropractic medicine and medical deep tissue massages. I am feeling desperate

darlyn05 responded:
Hi donnanae!
I looked up medications for osteoarthritis for those with high ulcer risks. Here is the link:

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/condition-2814-Osteoarthritis in Patients at High Ulcer Risk.aspx?diseaseid=2814&diseasename=Osteoarthritis in Patients at High Ulcer Risk&source=2

Here is another link just under arthritis where you select which sub-category to search by:

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/search.aspx?stype=condition&query=arthritis&source=2&submitDetailsTop.x=3&submitDetailsTop.y=9

Hope this helps.

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
HI Donna
Sorry to hear about your situation. Some of the recommendations that I give to my patients for pain relief of their OA who cannot take NSAIDS include acupuncture, glucosamine sulfate -the brand I use for my patients is DONA, as well as topical pain creams which can be compounded by a pharmacist and applied to a local area of pain.. Your situation is complicated so you would want to discuss any supplement or other treatment with your doctors before starting any therapy. Cymbalta is an FDA approved drug for osteoarthritis. It was first marketed as an anti depressant. Unfortunately it would not be a good option for you due to the fact that it may cause bleeding.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

what should i do
sir my name is rajesh, I had an accident and my hip is broken Dr. had fitted rod, but after one year my hip is start paining Dr are telling ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.