Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Blood Loss After TKR
sparkle3 posted:
I am having a double knee replacement in June. My doctor has informed me that I might need blood during the surgery, due to blood loss. Has anyone experienced this problem?

_swank_ responded:
Blood loss happens during surgery. Not much you can do about that. My blood was recycled so I didn't have to donate ahead of time. They put a drain in my wound, the blood went into some kind of machine and when I needed it they pumped it back into me.

sparkle3 replied to _swank_'s response:
thank you

TooToosMommy responded:
I am 6 weeks after TKR. I was told the same thing. It's a common "pre-surgery" suggestion. I had planned on doing it but things came up and I couldn't. If you're having the surgery in June I would go as quickly as I could now because you have to have it done several weeks (don't remember exactly how many weeks) before surg.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

karen
I'm 55 and have had osto for about 10 years. I use a cream called Valtaren works really great. I put it on first thing in the morning ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.