Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
avocado soy
Scott Zashin, MD posted:
Has anyone used this supplement to help with osteoarthritis pain? If so, what is your opinion on its effectiveness?

suprememommy responded:
I find less pain and inflammation when I regularly eat fresh avacados, as well as hot peppers (capsaisin). I haven't tried soy regularly, but I intend to now!

Scott Zashin, MD replied to suprememommy's response:
Actually the product, Avocado Soybean Unsaponifiables (ASU) is a natural vegetable extract made from the oils of avocado and soybean.While both avocado and soy have many health benefits, you will not be able to obtain enough of the oil to see a benefit in your osteoarthritis symptoms.. The unsaponifiable part is isolated from a tiny portion of the oil. By the way , unsaponifiable comes from the word describing an oil fraction that is unable to form soap. There are numerous studies showing that this product may help OA pain, but be patient as it may take up to three months to see benefit. For more information on this natural treatment and others, consider reading my book, Natural Arthritis Treatment.You can download it for free at the web address www.naturalarthritistreatment.com.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Arthritis in foot
I have had severe arthritis in my right foot for over 4 years now. In 2006, I had cortisone shots and they worked for awhile. Now I just ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.