Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
My osteoartritis
An_251785 posted:
Eeveryday it seems to get worse, the bent finger joints, the pain in my lower back. My hands can't grip things, they are swollen. I have to work, can't lift over 10 pounds, because of my back. I feel like all my joints are breaking in two.
Scott Zashin, MD responded:
If possible, it is worthwhile for people with osteoarthritis to visit a Rheumatologist, a specialist in arthritis to try to get help with the pain from arthritis. Treatments for OA in my practice may range from oral medications such as NSAIDS, to topical creams, injections, supplements/herbs and accupuncture. Depending on the location of the arthritis, physical therapy and exercise may be helpful.
granbaker replied to Scott Zashin, MD's response:
Dear Dr Zashin, I have OA in my lower back. I had a procedure done about 3 months ago on my back. The Doctor injected 21 shots in my back to kill the nerves to the OA. It has worked very well. But the nerves will regenerate and the procedure will have to be done again.

Now that my back is pain free my right hip and thigh are generating a great amount of pain. I have had x rays done but do not have the results yet.

I am seeing a Pain Management Doctor. He is prescribing hydrocodone 7 mg 4 times a day. They only relieve the pain for about 2 hours. I have an appointment on 8/1.

After all of that being said is there any medication that is not a narcotic or a narcotic that is more effective?

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

I'm 55 and have had osto for about 10 years. I use a cream called Valtaren works really great. I put it on first thing in the morning ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.