Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Hand osteoarthritis
janetph posted:
I noticed what looked like a blister on my thumb just below the thumbnail. My doctor told me it's arthritis. I've now noticed several more bumps on my other fingers on both hands. I'm only 53. I've had my knees replaced and revised 5x. Is there anything I can do to slow down the progression of this on my hands? I tested negatively for rheumatoid arthrisits. Thanks
Scott Zashin, MD responded:
If you have osteoarthritis of the hands,it is often found in family members. Unfortunately, there are no studies that show any treatments that prevent these nodules from forming. In the knees, there is some data that a brand of glucosamine sulfate, DONA, may slow down progression and help with symptoms.
janetph replied to Scott Zashin, MD's response:
Thanks for the info. I tried glucosamine sulfate years ago for my knees but it didn't make a difference. I'll look for DONA.
Anon_136697 replied to janetph's response:
Even my dad took glucosamine for years it didnt workout well, and he refused to undergo TKR, thats when we came across SBF healthcare and their new technology called SPMF, the treatment was non-invasive and painless, now my dad is symptom free and the post treatment shows cartilage regeneration.
janetph replied to Anon_136697's response:
Thanks for this information! Very interesting.
agarre8 replied to Anon_136697's response:
could one use this treatment on your hands. My hands are so crippled from osteoarthritis.
Neel07 replied to agarre8's response:
It can be used on hands too, please check the website
Neel07 replied to agarre8's response:
SPMF therapy can be used on hands. Pl visit the website for more info

Helpful Tips

I'm 55 and have had osto for about 10 years. I use a cream called Valtaren works really great. I put it on first thing in the morning ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 27 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.