Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bursectomy
quiltmyster posted:
I had a full hip replacement and bursectomy in April of 2012 of my left hip. I'd been through all the cortisone shots, therapy, etc. to no avail. Pain was totally unbearable. As far as the recovery goes, I am still having trouble walking and still have pain though it's not nearly as bad as it was prior to the surgery. I can't walk nearly as well or far as I did before and I was a quick stepper. I couldn't return to my old job because the physical demands were too great. I drove a semi and couldn't tolerate the clutching all day, 14 hour days, long periods of sitting and bouncing, climbing in and out of the trailer, etc.. Did physical therapy for several months. After that got cost prohibitive, I quit doing it and eventually decided I needed to do something. I took a part time job at a local grocery store as a cashier. The standing, bending, twisting and lifting can be rough sometimes but it has helped the hip pain and I have more stamina than before. Kind of like getting paid to do the therapy. The hardest thing is straightening back up after I bend down to pick up something from the floor like the dog's bowls. HURTS! I doubt that I will ever be anywhere near normal again. Knee pain now along with hip and siatic pain. This getting old sucks. My surgeon seems to think that I'm getting along pretty well but I wonder. I can lay on the left hip now but it's still a bit uncomfortable sometimes. Even bought a new mattress with gel foam to try andmake things molre comfortable. Helps some. Oh well, who knows. I'd like to be totally rid of the pain and discomfort but it probabloy will never happen.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Arthritis in foot
I have had severe arthritis in my right foot for over 4 years now. In 2006, I had cortisone shots and they worked for awhile. Now I just ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.