Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Whats the best brand of glucosmaine?
Scott Zashin, MD posted:
In my practice, I recommend DONA brand which is glucosamine sulfate.DONA brand seems to have the most postive data of all glucosamine products.It does not include Chondroitin. Glucosamine is made from shrimp shells and chondroitin from cow trachea. There are some vegetarian brands of chondroitin. There is less data that chondroitin helps. What brands do you like or do you find the generic brands are just as good?

davedsel responded:
Hello, Dr. Zashin. I am new to this Osteoarthritis community but a long-time member of WebMD.

I find that I need to change brands periodically as it becomes less effective for me. I just purchased Triple-Strength OsteoBi-flex (sp) and have used this in the past with good results. It has manganese, MSM plus some other good things. What it does not have is Vitamin D3, so I bought that separately in delicious gummy form.

I will be interest to see other members' replies.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

Scott Zashin, MD replied to davedsel's response:
Hi Dave
I appreciate your comment. A number of my patients take MSM. It may help with pain but has not been extensively studied. As a result, I don't ask them to stop it if it helps them. Because of the lack of data, it is not something I will suggest. I do feel Vitamin D3 is important and often check blood levels on my patients.Thank you for your interest.
Dr. Zashin

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Arthritis in foot
I have had severe arthritis in my right foot for over 4 years now. In 2006, I had cortisone shots and they worked for awhile. Now I just ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.