Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Osteoarthritis in the hips
tmgarcia posted:
I was just I have osteoarthritis in my hip along with bone spurs. My question is, I work standing on my feet 6-8 a day. Should I do physical therapy before I return back to work and should I be standing for that long?

_swank_ responded:
What did your doctor say? And what will you be returning to work from? I have arthritis, a torn labrum, and bone spurs in my hip. I walk all day long at my work. At some point I'll be getting my hip scoped to repair the labrum. Until then I manage the pain with meds.

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
In my opinion, physical therapy is often not very helpful for osteoarthritis of the hip. For patients with OA, wearing soft good shoes is helpful especially if you work on your feet. If you are above your ideal body weight, each pound of weight you lose is extremely useful to help decrease stress on the hips.

XtinaH responded:
I had an osteoarthritis and my hips hurt whenever I stand for more than 15 minutes, but not when I walk. I guess the tension becomes a bit lighter if you will move more. Try it and update us. I wish you well...
Click on my profile or username to know more about me and how I beat Osteoarthritis. If you have great tips on how I can keep my body healthier, particularly my joints, please send me a message.Thanks

SteveJacobs responded:
Osteoarthritis is a degenerative disease that occur due to wear & tear. I think the repetitive usage of your feet seems to be increasing the wear and tear of your hip joint as osteoporosis is a disorder that arise when the protective cartilage at the end of the bones wears down eventually. Therefore If you continue to stand all day for 6-8 hours, there is a risk of requiring a surgery as well. As we all know there are pros and cons of surgical interventions and the disadvantages are more. There are instances where many multiple surgeries are implemented as when one problem is solved another problem arise. Physical therapy could help in daily activities but I don't think the damage causing to your cartilage can be corrected.
Maybe you can try out the option what Tina has mentioned. I know that regnerative medication has healed many sports injuries the past years and yes.. it can be a great option that you can try out. Besides, it is a non traumatic optiion and if it can heal your cartilage and resume back to its usual functions, I guess it is worth trying it out. Wishing you good health!

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Relief for Knee OA
Doing squats on a Total Gym (2 or 3 reps of 20) at an incline, taking Nopalea, whirlpool baths and a proactive attitude through prayer have ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.