Tax Deductible Gym
UWSNYCWoman posted:
I was just diagnosed with severe arthritis of the spine. A Registered Nurse with my health plan recommended water exercises. I live in Manhattan. The nearest gym with a pool is not cheap, but is it tax deductible if my physiatrist prescribes it?

Anon_596 responded:
While each state may have differing tax guideliines, I live in WI, my tax acct. said as long as I have something in writting stating that I needed to have a certain type of therapy and can obtain it from a gym or where ever that it is tax deductible. How much I don't know. I also have received reduced rates if not free with such a letter or written script from my Dr. A copy will need to be submited with your taxes.

I have also had the same tax deduction with certain items of my diet due to intolerance of medication for high cholesterol.

Hope this helps.

georgia888 responded:
I live in western NY & do know that such therapy, with written recommendation from a health care provider, may be tax deductible if your total health care costs meet the required amount (not certain of that figure). Be sure to save all receipts for co-pays & also for any other expenses related to your health care.

I, too, have severe arthritis & use a warm water pool at the local gym daily. It is my best medicine. Others at the pool suffer with the same or similar conditions & agree that aqua therapy truly helps with flexibility & improved mobility throughout the day. It's worth every cent of the membership fees. I have been able to postpone recommended surgery as a result of the water therapy.

Best of luck to you.

georgia

davedsel replied to georgia888's response:
Hello, georgia.

I believe we have communicated on the WebMD Back Pain Community.

I also live in Western New York. I would love to know what gym you are going to for the hydrotherapy. If you are willng, could you please send me an e-mail at dave_edsel@yahoo.com regarding this? Thank you very much.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

georgia888 replied to davedsel's response:
Hello Dave,
While following these pain communities, I feel as though I've come to know such regulars as you. You consistently offer valuable advice & although we may no longer have the presence of the "experts," visitors like you, Joy, etc. are equally as good.

I feel especially close to you realizing you are a geographic neighbor. However, I believe you are a bit more west at your Buffalo residence in that I reside in a suburb of Rochester.

That being said, if you are still interested in the name of the gym, do let me know & I will share that with you. It's my understanding that a truly heated therapeutic pool is almost rare. We recently had a visitor from Chicago who commented that there's no such pool in that area. "Our" pool is kept at 89 degrees & is treated with salt as opposed to chlorine. It is my best medicine.

Because the pool here is extremely popular among the many arthritic, etc. sufferers, I would have to believe that it would fare well in any location, especially in view of the aging baby boomers.

Keep on writing - I look for your comments!

Thank you,
georgia

davedsel replied to georgia888's response:
Thank you for your reply, Georgia.

Yes, go ahead and e-mail me the name of the gym. It may be worth a drive to get some relief.

I had several physical therapy sessions at a place near Lockport with a heated pool last summer. It went well, but really did not provide any sustained pain relief. We have a hot tub that we are trying to sell. My wife is also disabled due to her work-related back injury and maintaining the hot tub is now extremely difficult if not impossible. Ultimately I would love a walk-in whirlpool tub in our bathroom and am researching funding options for that.

Great to chat with you again.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave