Skip to content
Tax Deductible Gym
UWSNYCWoman posted:
I was just diagnosed with severe arthritis of the spine. A Registered Nurse with my health plan recommended water exercises. I live in Manhattan. The nearest gym with a pool is not cheap, but is it tax deductible if my physiatrist prescribes it?

Anon_596 responded:
While each state may have differing tax guideliines, I live in WI, my tax acct. said as long as I have something in writting stating that I needed to have a certain type of therapy and can obtain it from a gym or where ever that it is tax deductible. How much I don't know. I also have received reduced rates if not free with such a letter or written script from my Dr. A copy will need to be submited with your taxes.

I have also had the same tax deduction with certain items of my diet due to intolerance of medication for high cholesterol.

Hope this helps.

georgia888 responded:
I live in western NY & do know that such therapy, with written recommendation from a health care provider, may be tax deductible if your total health care costs meet the required amount (not certain of that figure). Be sure to save all receipts for co-pays & also for any other expenses related to your health care.

I, too, have severe arthritis & use a warm water pool at the local gym daily. It is my best medicine. Others at the pool suffer with the same or similar conditions & agree that aqua therapy truly helps with flexibility & improved mobility throughout the day. It's worth every cent of the membership fees. I have been able to postpone recommended surgery as a result of the water therapy.

Best of luck to you.

georgia

davedsel replied to georgia888's response:
Hello, georgia.

I believe we have communicated on the WebMD Back Pain Community.

I also live in Western New York. I would love to know what gym you are going to for the hydrotherapy. If you are willng, could you please send me an e-mail at dave_edsel@yahoo.com regarding this? Thank you very much.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

georgia888 replied to davedsel's response:
Hello Dave,
While following these pain communities, I feel as though I've come to know such regulars as you. You consistently offer valuable advice & although we may no longer have the presence of the "experts," visitors like you, Joy, etc. are equally as good.

I feel especially close to you realizing you are a geographic neighbor. However, I believe you are a bit more west at your Buffalo residence in that I reside in a suburb of Rochester.

That being said, if you are still interested in the name of the gym, do let me know & I will share that with you. It's my understanding that a truly heated therapeutic pool is almost rare. We recently had a visitor from Chicago who commented that there's no such pool in that area. "Our" pool is kept at 89 degrees & is treated with salt as opposed to chlorine. It is my best medicine.

Because the pool here is extremely popular among the many arthritic, etc. sufferers, I would have to believe that it would fare well in any location, especially in view of the aging baby boomers.

Keep on writing - I look for your comments!

Thank you,
georgia

davedsel replied to georgia888's response:
Thank you for your reply, Georgia.

Yes, go ahead and e-mail me the name of the gym. It may be worth a drive to get some relief.

I had several physical therapy sessions at a place near Lockport with a heated pool last summer. It went well, but really did not provide any sustained pain relief. We have a hot tub that we are trying to sell. My wife is also disabled due to her work-related back injury and maintaining the hot tub is now extremely difficult if not impossible. Ultimately I would love a walk-in whirlpool tub in our bathroom and am researching funding options for that.

Great to chat with you again.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Total hip replacement for OA
I was uncertain and quite frightened by the thought of having a total hip replacment for my osteoarthritic hips, the right being worse than ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.