Skip to content
Sudden Onset Osteoarthritis
Meredy38 posted:
I developed osteoarthritis very suddenly after a long run a year ago. I was in the best physical condition of my life and a very healthy weight when it happened. I was winning races one day and the next day I had severe swelling which turned out to be caused by osteoarthritis.

I have steadily declined since the first day of swelling. My quad muscle has atrophied and I am now unable to walk any distance and can not put any weight on my bad knee in a bent position. I can only take stairs one at a time and only very carefully. I have a constant bad limp.

I have almost completed my 3rd attempt at physical therapy, have had a surgery to clean up the cartilage, a lateral release, cortisone injections, and used various NSAIDs. Through all of it I just continue to get worse.

It seems like there are no other options to treat me. I can't imagine at age 38 I am just done with all physical activity and will be in pain forever. I have noticed my other knee is really starting to bother me and my hip on the bad leg is often hurting. I assume this is because they are being overworked due to the injury.

I keep hearing other people with osteoarthritis telling me they have it and you just have to toughen up and stay active. It seems like people just think I'm lazy. The pain isn't the kind of pain you can just work through. It's very frustrating. When I put weight on the bad knee is just collapses from the pain but some people are telling me they have lost all cartilage and are running daily and playing hockey. I really think they believe I'm capable of that too if I just suck it up.

I keep getting invites to join fitness bootcamps from friends and invited to zumba or hiking and told oh you can do it.. I am beyond frustrated. This is the hardest thing I've ever been through and I'm terrified it's just going to keep getting worse. This means I will lose my job and everything I enjoy in life .. except eating I suppose.. although the NSAIDs are doing a pretty good job of screwing with that too. I am still managing to stay a very healthy weight which I'm told is a good thing with this condition but it doesn't seem to be doing me much good. I am also trying to find hobbies that aren't physical in nature but it's hard. I've always been a very active person and that is where I have always found happiness.

I am hoping someone can relate

_swank_ responded:
I blew out my knee at age 15 and had arthritis by the time I was 28. So what. Running isn't the only activity. I took up biking which is easier on knees. And I also started swimming which is excellent exercise all around. You don't lose your job because you have arthritis in your knee. I'm in my 50's now and I have already had my knee replaced. But I have arthritis in my foot, shoulders, hip, back, etc. I still work and still swim and still ride a bike on occasion.

This isn't a death sentence. focus on the things you CAN do and go do them. Keep the knee strong and mobile and then you can stop dwelling on what you CAN'T do and feeling sorry for yourself.

Meredy38 replied to _swank_'s response:

You absolutely do lose your job if you are required to maintain a certain level of fitness as part of that job. Some examples of that type of job are police, fire, and military. I will find a new career but its unfortunate that I will have to.

I am sorry if it seems like I am dwelling and feeling sorry for myself. It is rather new and shocking info that there might not be anything else that can be done to help me. I was hoping for some feedback from others that have been through it.

I am trying to find things I can do that I still enjoy. I am not able to ride a bike or swim or walk any distance. I am sure I will find things but its a difficult adjustment.

nylonanny replied to Meredy38's response:
Meredy38, I know from where you come! I had my second total knee in aug and went back to work 3 days and barely that, my knee was fine but all of a sudden arthritis just took ahold and could not stand 30 minutes at a time, my job required 8 hrs! It just hit me and that was in 2011 and I am now on disability...I cannot do what I once did in 2011, would love to work...I am 58 and arthritis is genetic in my family! The mind says you can do it...the body does not comply! Hope this helps! I know you are not feeling sort for your self, just have to get used to not being able to do what you once did! Hope this helps!
Ruthann

Snigglefritz13 responded:
Hi. I have had osteoarthritis since 2005 now. I have had one surgery on my ankle in 2005. From that point out I have had cortisone injections almost every 3 months and NSIADs every day for years. As with you the job has been a issue all these years trying to work with pain and not lose my job. The cortisone injections stopped working. My current status since February 2012 is so so. I got the doctor to give me an injection called synvisc most doctors will only do it for the knee. I was lucky that they tried this for me. Worked great! The first one I had lasted 5 months helping with hardly any pain and walking quite a bit. The second injection lasted 8 months but I also used the knee scooter some at work to not be walking full time on it. I had my 3 rd synvisc a month ago, and I can walk some good amount to go through a museum on vacation. I however have been taken off work due to the fact I have walking restrictions of a total of 15 minutes per hour and the knee scooter messed up the knee from being on it to much. Worked wanted me to use it as much as you do walking a full job. They have now placed me off work stating the cannot accommodate my restrictions. I am very tired now since 2005 dealing with pain, work, people not understanding. Like you many tell me you just need to tighten up the muscles. Nope that's not it. I would recommend synvisc for a while since you are so young. Cortisone destroys the bones over time synvisc does not. I am now thinking of ankle replacement which is what brought me to this forum. Tammy

Meredy38 replied to Snigglefritz13's response:
Thanks Sniggle,

I will ask my doctor about synvisc. He had told me it wasn't a good option for me because it was a small area of severe damage and not overall loss of cartilage but maybe now that my condition has deteriorated and other treatments have failed I could try it.

Meredy38 replied to nylonanny's response:
Thank you Nylonanny, I really appreciate your post.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

karen
I'm 55 and have had osto for about 10 years. I use a cream called Valtaren works really great. I put it on first thing in the morning ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.