Skip to content
ankle fusion pain
bill721ep posted:
Hi My name is Bill I have been reading all the stories about failed ankle fusions. Everyone I have talked with since I had mine done in 2001 has not had anything good to say about it . My story is , when I was about 13 I my right foot got caught in something and my body spun about 180 degrees (kind of like a 3 stooges movie) It hurt like hell and a buddy of mine let me lean on hin so I could walk home. That was in 1960 I was in pain off and on for years. fast forward to 1967 I was 19 and drafted in to the army and at my physical before I was sworn in I told the doctor that I had a bad ankle and I walked with pain most of the time ,he said if you can pull a trigger you're in the army. I was sworn in and went to basic training where there was a lot of running and jumping every day and a lot of times with full field packs. I went to sick call at least 10 times with a swollen ankle and told them that I cant walk because of severe pain. After them taking x rays at least 3 times they couldnt find anything. . they told me go back to my unit and continue with my training, there was nothing I could do except desert and I couldnt do that. Finally when I was in for 9 months ther was a doctor that saw what was happening and suggested me to get a medical discharge rather that having my ankle fused so I was discharged. ( I think he was a very smart man) I went thru the next 34 years with pain. I retired and met with a doctor inf florida and he talked me in to fusion so I had it done by him and after about 4 months I was out of the cast and walking with more pain than I was ever in. I kept going back to him and he kept telling me it wasnt healed yet so i went to another doctor for a second opinion and he said it was not fused and that the screws were comming out and more than likely it infected . I asked him why the first doctor didnt tell me that and he just shrugged his sholders. I told him to fix me up. Hrers what I had to go thru. Go in for surgery to open up the ankle and remove the hardware and flush it out.#2-wait 2 days and then go thru another surgery and install antiseptic beads in the ankle,cast it and go home with a wheel chair and no weight bearing for 12 weeks and during and getting intervienus anti-biotics ever day . After 12 weeks I went back for another surgery to open up my ankle and take out the anti-septic beads and then wait 2 days and they did another surgery to fuse the ankle again. I was in a cast with no weight bearing for another 12 weeks. Thats a total of over 6 months in a wheel chair. Here is where I am now in 2113 thats 12 years later. Im in pain constantly and walk with a limp and sometimes I fall. I had to buy a mobility scooter if I have to be anymore that 20 minutes on my feet. Nothing can be done, I dont want to take a chance in getting it fused again. Im 65 years old now . Hind site is 20/20 but If I knew then what I know now I would have had it amputaed and fitted for a artifical leg.. thats my story. thanks for listening

dkrev responded:
Bill I want to thank you for sharing your experience, I was considering having an ankle fusion because I am having some pain and some difficulty walking. I had a MRI and my foot is overpronated ruptured tendent. I had 2 opinions other than my foot doctor, they both did not encourage me to have the surgery, for the reasons you have shared. I am also 65 and loose my balance from time to time, however I bought myself a cane which has been very helpful, and I wear orthotics, there is some pain, I try to pace myself and rest when needed. I am so sorry you have had such a difficult experience, your being so open has stoped my searching for another opinion. Thank you very much!

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.