Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tricompartmental osteoarthritis both knees
An_253862 posted:
Hi, I am a 44 year old women with OA in both knees so sever it has put me out of work. I am over weight obese even and I know that has a lot to with my pain. I am trying to loose weight but that is a never ending battle(if you have never been over weight you would not understand). One of the main reasons I am over weight is because of the pain in my knees and lower back(I have dengenerative disc disease or OA there too). I am not trying to make an excuse cause I have always been heavy but since all this pain started I have gained weight. What do you do exercise wise when you have this much pain. I have looked on the web and found a few sit down exercise to try but is there anything else? I know already I need knee replacement in both knees from my pain doctor telling me. Yes I am on pain medication for my back but it does nothing for my knees. So he told me to call an orthopedic doctor but he will tell me to loose weight before he does the surgery. I guess why I am posting is to vent. I know I did this to myself(weight)but why to the over weight people always get looked upon as lazy degenerates. That may sound like I am being harsh but it is the truth. So I have to stay in pain and out of work because I am fat. Just do the freaken surgery let me deal with complications so I can get some relief from this pain I suffer day and night 24/7. By the way I don't eat a lot it's cause I love fast food but the main reason is it hurts to exercise . I want to say my job has lot to do with my problem too. I work on the assembly line at one of the big 3 company's that is a lot of standing,walking,and repetitive motion. Plus growing up I was a clutz and tripped and landed on my knees so many times I could not even tell you(being skinny and heavy or obese). Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any advise would be great. I will even take your negative advice(most will be negative towards me cause of my weight, I am used to it). Kelley

_swank_ responded:
First off, go to an orthopedic surgeon. Not all of them will refuse to do surgery if you are overweight. You haven't tried yet so just go. If one turns you down then try another.

Second, find a pool and go swimming. Look at schools, hotels, YMCAs, whatever. Our local aquatic center is awesome and it's not expensive. Swimming is the best exercise you can do for your joints and your whole body. And you don't need to know how to swim. Get a flotation device and kick, move your arms or just run in the pool.

KELLEYROSS responded:
Thank you Swank for advice. I will look into that. Also thank you for some good advice and not just telling me to get off my but and exercise and quit eating. People that have never been over weight or have had a day of pain do not understand. I have joined weight watchers to learn to eat better so with the advice you have given I will find a pool somewhere for sure. Thanks again. Kelley

gilbertgd responded:
I'm turning 59 this month and have osteoarthritis in both knee, Coronary Artery Disease w/three stints, I am considered morbidly obese, have high blood pressure issues, plus I am hit with gout attacks periodically.

After a lot of trial and error, my MD put me on Tramadol HCL as needed and Indomethacin when the pain gets really severe. I've had to learn to use these wisely and only take when really needed and I am monitored regularly by my MD.

When I started taking Tramadol, I used it everyday and at night... however; I also was able to begin moving again. (My husband had been doing my laundry for two years because I was unable to go up and down our basement steps to get to the laundry room.) As I was able to start slowly becoming more active, a few pounds started coming off. The more pounds that came off, the more active I was able to become. In the past year I've lost 40 lbs. and I've been able to reduce my Tramadol to once a day and not every day. The Indomethacin I now take at night, after having eaten something and taking anti-acid, with lots of water and only once or twice a week when necessary; and frequently do not require it for weeks at a time. I joined the local chapter of TOPS, Inc. and am slowly working down to my goal of losing 100lbs. Don't give up, but there's no magic answer... it's hard and it takes time, but you can improve.

gilbertgd replied to KELLEYROSS's response:
believe gilbertgd posted incorrectly.... meant to post on site for An_253862 and all to see.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Arthritis in foot
I have had severe arthritis in my right foot for over 4 years now. In 2006, I had cortisone shots and they worked for awhile. Now I just ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.