Includes Expert Content
Exercise for bad knees
snowfish posted:
Hello. This is my first time posting here. I'm a 33 year old American woman, currently living in Japan.

A few years ago, I began having pain in my knees. A bit later, I started hearing crunching sounds when squatting. When the pain became worse, I went to a doctor here in Japan, who told me, "Ah, you have grandmother-knees. Very early, isn't it? Don't worry, it's okay." Hmmm... He told me that the cartilage between my knee bones is wearing away, so I assume this is osteoarthritis. Yeah, okay indeed...

Anyway, I'm resigned myself to living with it. I mean, there isn't much I can do until it gets bad enough to require surgery, right?

I have since stopped doing any exercise that impacts the knees. I used to do Zumba and boxing classes at the gym, but sadly it became much to hard on my knees.

I know I need to lose some weight. The knee pain has stopped me from living as I used to, and I've gone up a few sizes in the last few years. So my question is... any resources for exercise plans for bad knees?

I do like swimming, and my gym has a pool, so that's a plus. I often walk or ride a bicycle, sometimes as much as two hours a day, if I'm working somewhere far away. (I work in at least four different locations any given month.)

I'm interested in yoga or pilates, and also weight training. What I'd really like is a detailed exercise plan already laid out, as I don't really know what I'm doing in the gym... and the language barrier makes it tough to speak to the staff about it.

Does anyone know any websites with workout plans, or that will take in your info and spit one out for you? Does that make sense?

Links to certain youtube vids for yoga, etc would be awesome as well.

Cheers! Thanks for your help!

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
I like all the things you are doing. Weight loss, bike, swimming etc. You might try the Arthritis Foundation site for specific excercises.

snowfish replied to Scott Zashin, MD's response:
I'll check it out. It seems like most of the stuff for arthritis is targeted toward people much older than myself, though... aside from the bad knees, I can do anything a normal person in their early 30s can. Ah, well. Geriatric at 33, I suppose.

sam1985 responded:
Here is the right click for you = http://www.empowereddoctor.com/10148/hip-knee-shoulder-replacement-alternatives/