Skip to content
Severe Hip Arthritis at 26
An_254901 posted:
I have really bad osteoarthritis in my hip. It started around the age of 23, but got pretty severe last year ( 25 years old ). My latest X-Ray shows zero cartilage in that joint and a couple of bone cysts. I have no signs of arthritis in any other parts of my body according to my doctors so they think this is injury related ( although we can not seem to pinpoint when or what caused the injury ). I am not physically able to walk normal. I walk with a really bad limp. If I try to walk in a normal motion, my hip grinds and slips in the socket. On a normal day, my pain scale sits at a 7 ( 1 to 10, 10 being the most painful ) Something like a trip to the grocery store, while doable, ruins the rest of my day with severe shooting pains down my leg and stabbing pains in my hip which I would grade at a 9. I get shots to fight the inflammation, but those seem to only get rid of the pain for a few days. Less than 2 weeks later my hip is back to its painful ways. I can not run even small distances without experiencing severe pain. I adjusted my workout to include cycling to help my hip problem, but now I can't even do that. Most pain meds do not seem to help. To be honest, the best thing for the pain is for me to smoke "something medicinal " and it helps, even if it is only helping through distraction.

Now to my issue. I am dealing with this every day of my life and I have been for a couple of years now. At first I could deal, but this has gotten to the point where it is unbearable. Sometimes, I am just in the corner of the room to myself trying to just deal with the pain in my hip. I have seen my primary doctor and two orthopedic surgeons who specialize in total hip replacement. All doctors have told me at this point of the osteoarthritis in my hip, is that our options are very limited, but they dont want me to do hip surgery at 26. Preferably waiting until close to 30. I really don't think I can make it to 30. If the pain stayed how it is now, maybe I could make it, but the pain worsens every month it seems. My question is, is there anything I can do? Can I tell the surgeons I want to go through with the hip replacement? Can I find another surgeon online that would be more willing to consider my concerns? I know I will probably not be running marathons again like I used to, but I would like to at least be able to go outside and play with my 5 year old for an hour without suffering because of it.

atti_editor responded:
Hello,

I am so sorry that you are in so much pain and aren't able to enjoy playing with your 5 year old or comfortably manage daily activities. I think that a second or third opinion is almost always warranted, especially when your condition in effecting your quality of life, which it seems to most certainly be doing in your case. But I would also take into consideration the opinions and reasoning of the doctors you have already seen.

I found this guide called Should I Have Hip Replacement Surgery that you might find helpful in ironing out your own feelings and maybe even use when talking with your doctor or orthopedic surgeon.

I also encourage you to start a discussion in our Knee & Hip Replacement community , if you haven't already. (Just hit the orange "post now" button as you did in this community to get started.) The members over there might have some great advice to provide as well.

Good luck, and please keep us updated on your journey!

-Atti

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.