Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
basal joint arthtoplasty
An_254919 posted:
I am 70, take care of mom who is in a wheelchair most of the time. I have bone on bone in both thumbs and after reading all the posts am scared out of my wits. I have dealt with a lot of pain, but I have reached my limit. Not sure how I am going to do this. My daughter wants me to come to her house, but is not able to take care of mom because everyone works. I was going to wait until she passed to have this done, but just don't think I can wait. Not sure what I would like to hear from you all as posters. I also take care of 3 acres, mowing and raking and flower beds, and koi pods, as well as working part time. I am really nervous and scared. I would appreciate any and all encouragements. Thanks,Karen

An_255223 responded:
I had R thumb joint replacement October 23, 2013. I have had FANTASTIC results!!! The surgery went excellently, had a terrific hand surgeon and was in a cast for 5 weeks after the initial 2 weeks of a splint while the swelling went down. Best of all, the PT lasted only 3 weeks and with a hard splint, I went snowmobiling! I cannot be happier, I could not have had a better outcome. Did it hurt? Minimally at the incision point. Do I continue to have some minor achiness, yes but NO WHERE NEAR the excruciating pain prior to surgery. "Thumbs Up" from me! Linda

mariajohnson responded:
After the surgery they will put the brace which would feel uncomfortable at times. Also the healing process is slow in the surgery. But I have read that after a week of surgery you can start using your hand. So best luck for your surgery.

PGray11763 responded:
I had basal joint arthoplasty surgery on October 17, 2012, a Wednesday morning, and I was back to work on Monday. I work on a computer all day and I was able to still type with the splint and cast which keeps the thumb immobile for healing. I wish I could do my left hand, even with insurance it is very expensive. I totally understand about responsibilities, I have a 17 year old son, take care of my 90 year old mother, live on 2 acres, and went through a divorce after 25 years of marriage all at the same time. I have a wonderful group of friends to help me, but I was back doing things very quickly. I have full function and no more pain.

lynlu responded:
Had R thumb joint done in2004, L one in 2005. I was store cake decorator. Was worried about making roses on rose nail,{ have to turn this with thumb}. Was in cast for 6 weeks, lots of therapy ,LOT of pain. Went back to work after 3 months. Dr. took tenden from forearm ,rolled it up for ball joint. NO PROBLEMS FOR ME! You will need HELP, bathing, dressing , meals. Daughter might need to take vacation , family medical, Mom needs help at 70, some things you will not be able to do. Daughter time to help Mom!

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.